close call

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by smarsh, Jul 22, 2011.

1. smarsh

smarsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    lexington, KY
    i haven't lost a chicken to a predator in my 3 years of urban ranching. I do have plenty of predators around, but have been delegent about locking them up and having a secure run. Sometimes I allow them to run about in the last minutes of daylight. Last night, the old hens locked up, I went back in the house awhile since the pullets were still in my wife's flowers and not ready to go in. Just after dark I went to lock the house and a racoon came running out from the house. It wasn't a full grown one and appeared to be eating feed. I don't know if it was unaware of the chickens just above its head, but they were certainly aware of it.

2. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Glad it just got feed!

With this high heat and humidity I wait till after 9pm to lock mine up in their sardine can.Poor guys. I am waiting now to let them out. I wish we were out in the country,because they would be out at 5am!

I was sad to read on other threads that coons ans possums comew out during the day. I caught a baby possum by my chickens in the early night.

3. smarsh

smarsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    lexington, KY
    my coop for the young ones has plenty of ventilation and my old hens are under a good shade tree, but they are still pretty hot.

4. effie

effie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    West(by god) Virginia
    I had exactly the same thing happen last night-went to put them up and he came running out-never had problems before--one was missing and I found her about 45 minutes later way down in the pasture all hunkered down-carried her back to the coop and she was missing her tail feathers--just went and got our live trap----IT'S ON TONIGHT!!!!!! My first close call and I hated it!!! glad yours went unharmed too....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by