Close ecounters of the WRONG kind!

Dar

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 31, 2008
Please tell me this is a dog and not a Coyote.

My son went to close the chickens for the night and found a BIG dog in the back yard. Now we have had big dogs before we lost our Malamute a year ago so my kids are no stranger to large dogs.

He yelled from the back door cause when he opened the door the dog looked at him he closed it quick (checked his pants for marks if you get my drift) and screamed at the same time. I came running dog was gone.

Would a Coyote come this close to my house?

13904_dsc04476.jpg

that stone in the pic is the step to my back door
th.gif
I went out to the coop and there was NO tracks around my coop at all so I am hoping it was a dog and not a sick coyote..

someone reassure me please
fl.gif

Nope all 17 accounted for the night and both chicken doors are bolted no way to get in unless you have usable thumbs..

but K-9 as in dog or coyote?

there was no tracks at all around my coop.. just my door

I'm not sure why you feel that a dog is better than a coyote. A coyote is a canine as well and they are both just as destructive to chickens! You may have had good luck with your family dog around your chickens but I can assure you this is not usually the case. I haven't taken a poll on how many people have lost chickens to dogs versus coyotes but I would bet more have been lost to dogs since there are more dogs at large. Both though are bad news for chickens.
To answer your question about if coyotes would come this close the answer is a definate YES! The sheriff's dept in Reno has warned us that coyotes are actually getting much more brazen than they usually are due to the lack of food they are facing in this area. They will usually run away when a human appears but lately some have not only stood their ground but they have approached humans while growling at them! But those tracks look more like a dog than a coyote.
I would take care to make sure your chickens enclosure is secure from any predator! Good luck with your flock!

Last edited:
I am a little more relaxed if it was a dog because I would know who the owner is and it would be easier to make them accountable and also I know this dog and would not be afraid for my children around it...

coyote on the other hand... not so sure.. time for plan B (dont ask what plan B is cause there is not one yet)

as for now the chickens are secure and I have advised my son the chickens dont go out... they are on lock down till we can get this figured out

Edited to clarify that the neighbor has a pretty big dog and even though i would not trust the dog with my chickens I know that the dog probably just chewed through his lead again they have a zip line sort of thing and will let the dog our for hours at a time, so he gets bored and chews. I still wont let my guard down per sey but not as uptight as of it was a coyote

Last edited:
You never know.....its hard to tell Dar....I had a coyote get one of my babies just before the snow stayed on the ground and ever since then I see one set of tracks do a walk by the coop every once inawhile .It was a definetly a coyote not a Coy dog...I seen it...after my dogs and chickens were calling me ...hear them all the time ...Luckily my girls dont like snow and have a secure yard to come outside ...
Good luck ...

if its a Coyote and I can get a pic of it that close to the house the GRCA will get involved and set a trap... but that will draw them to my house which I dont want. Because the campground is so close they try to keep that kind of wild life at bay. I guess what freaks me out is an unknown "animal" that close to my house

Back
Top Bottom