1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Close Encounter of the Areial Type

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Salt and Light, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Salt and Light

Salt and Light Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Osteen, FL
    Stinkin' hawk was ALMOST successful in culling one my chicks! I like hawks but I value my chicks just a little more <smile>.

I want my chicks to have a couple hours of free-time everyday but when can I stop worrying about Mr. Hawk trying to have chicken fricassee? Will a red tail hawk swoop on a 1/2 grown chicken? How about a full-grown bird; are they safe from dive bombing?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

No, they are not safe from hawks, even grown. Wish they were! My roosters keep the girls safe with their 'eagle eye' and alarm calls.

3. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    my father says one of the plastic owls will work but my feed guy who is awesome been selling feed his whole life says it won't.

Unfortunately I can't shoot the hawk, they are protected

The other day my 8 week old chicks were freeranging and i went in the house (to pee) and I heard the hawk screech barely got my pants up the hawk was sitting in a tree in my yard so now I am afraid to go in the house when they are out ,

I was going to try making a believable scarecrow.

4. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    i saw hawks chasing full grown 12 pound roosters into a fence. the roo got stuck and the hawks were sitting there eating him.

5. Salt and Light

May 20, 2008
    Osteen, FL
    So, chickens are either in the coop/run or else they are fair game for hawks?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2008
  6. Chickaroo!

Chickaroo! Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2007
    Maybe you could make a small run that is covered so your babies can still be outside, yet be protected.
    The run for my coop is totally covered. My DH just finished (almost) building a new coop and the run that's going to be attached to that is also going to be totally covered.

7. Salt and Light

May 20, 2008
    Osteen, FL
    Chicaroo, I already have a covered run (something like 40 sq ft), but I really want them to free-range.

I've sort of discovered that the hawks are on a morning/evening schedule. They are most prevalent in the AM and tend to be somewhere else in the evening. As such, I will be letting out the birds a couple of hours before dark. Generally, I'm outside with my 3 y/o so hopefully I will be able to hear the screech of an approaching hawk.

8. Chickaroo!

Chickaroo! Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2007
    I've read on here somewhere that you could maybe use old cd's. The shine on them scares the hawks. I almost forgot about that!

9. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    ooh thanks chickaroo I have a ton of scratch dvd's (grandson's rough on them ) I'll try that

10. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Plastic owls don't work b/c the hawks figure out that they're not a threat when they stay in the same place for weeks & weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by