Close fox incident.

ChickenPeep

Faith & Feathers
11 Years
May 1, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Hey everyone!

Yesterday morning around 8, I was sitting outside watching my chickens. I had them in a large fence that they like to hang out in. I had a lawnchair pulled up right next to it, so close that I was nearly touching it.
My four chickens, being as freindly as they are, slowly migrated over to where my feet were. I was sitting very still and just watching them trying to peck my toes. Suddenly, they all perked up, looked to the left of me, and started clucking like they were scared. I looked to my left, and there about 10 feet away was a red fox walking over to us! I jumped up, yelled at it, and chased it until I thought I had scared it enough.
I'm thinking that since I was sitting so still, it didn't know I was there.
I am so glad I was there because if I wasn't, I might have lost one of my wonderful chickens.
bow.gif

So scary! Glad you didn't lose anyone! I've had to throw rocks at the coyotes here to scare them off, and now I carry mace, just in case. Whew!

You would have lost more then one they will kill several at a time and stash them. Be careful it will be back. Glad you were there.

We've had coyotes less than 10 feet from our leashed dogs. One is a big lab too. They seem to know they're safe in the city limits. We lost one chicken to a coyote - glad it wasn't a fox or we might have lost all of them. Definitely keep two eyes out for that fox.

I'm in the WA State Master Hunter program, have live humane traps, am prior law enforcement, go by the book and can help with coyotes. PM me for more info and coyote & fox are serious threats with their only predator/resistence is "man/woman". Pepperspray, throwing rocks, yelling, dogs, fencing....there are tremendous positive non lethal options available here...they just have to be taken or predators will be predators.

Back
Top Bottom