close to 6 months now and no eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickiemom25, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Chickiemom25

Chickiemom25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    North Alabama
    My Orp was sick this summer.. Vet couldn't identify what it was but it started with soft shell eggs, then she stopped laying and got very ill and almost died. With antibiotics she pulled through. She was still regaining strength when she went into her first molt at 18 months. It took about 2 months to get all her feathers back. We we are a couple months past that and her comb is nice and red again but she doesn't lay anymore, She is the last one out of coop in the morning and overall seems a little slower than the 2 younger birds but is maintaining weight etc. Any suggestions.

2. loanwizard

loanwizard Chillin' With My Peeps

Wait til spring and the 14 hours of daylight. Can't know if there is a problem until laying conditions are optimal.

3. Chickiemom25

Chickiemom25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    North Alabama
    even though I still get 4 eggs a week minimum from each of my rocks right now?

4. loanwizard

It is possible. Orpingtons are a different breed. I would wait and see.

Since you had a vet come in, I can't tell you what I as more of a farm type would do, but to give her a fair chance, I would wait til March or April before making a decision about her. Unless you're hungry ;)

5. ClickerChick

ClickerChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Soft shelled eggs could indicate lack of calcium in the diet. Feed them crushed oyster shells and/or egg shells along with regular food. Make sure to grind up the egg shells enough so they don't recognize it, otherwise it could lead to them eating their own eggs.

6. loanwizard

I am not trying to be rude mean or nasty or any combination, but in my experience, you do NOT have to grind up eggs to make them unrecognizable to the birds. I have 80 birds m/l and when I have extra, cracked, found in a strange place, etc.... eggs, I toss them on the barn floor and the girls gobble them down. Too much work to go to the house, grind em, etc....then bring it back incognito.

7. ClickerChick

ClickerChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, that's why I said COULD lead to egg eating! Most people do not have a problem with the eggshells, and it never leads to egg eating, but some do. My friends have 50+ chickens, and they throw rotten or cracked eggs to the chickens all the time, and now they have a few chickens that eat their own eggs. I guess it just depends on the birds or maybe the nest boxes. But you're right, most people don't find it necessary to grind up the shells. :p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by