1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Close to any actual breed of Ameraucana?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by adcgroup, Aug 24, 2013.

1. adcgroup

adcgroup Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2009
    So I went to my local Tractor Supply this past spring and went to their "Ameraucana" bin and picked the 6 most different chicks I could see. They're all EE's, but sometimes they're the prettiest and I got some really nice ones this time. I got what looks to be a real close Brown-Red female and I got these two Roos. I like the coloration on the first and have seen people call this a "Lemon-Blue", but as far as I know that's no recognized variant. Any of you familiar with Ameraucana standard and see anything in these guys close to anything?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Heavy sigh. Tractor Supply is a nice store to have in one's neighborhood. But if one is looking for pure bred, or better put, bred to standard breeds? Nah.

Bred to standard birds must be gotten from breeders.

3. Jenny77

Jenny77 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2013
    They look like a cross to me. Most hatcheries that sell "ameracaunas" are actually EE's. I got 12 Ameracaunas from a breeder. They are black with the Roos having an faint dark green tint when in direct sunlight. Ameracaunas will have muffs, slate gray/black legs and lay a blue egg. Your birds are beautiful non the less.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    They're Easter eggers.

5. adcgroup

adcgroup Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2009
    Oh, they're definitely EE's and I knew that going in, but I really like the coloration of the first one and wondered if it approximated anything standard.

We have a handful of chickens that we've put in the State Fair and won a few ribbons, but it's mostly for fun. Like dogs, I've found the "mutts" to sometimes be better companions, and, in the case of chickens, often prettier!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by