Close to hatching, Do I move the nest to a safer spot?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Sophie Mae, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Sophie Mae

Sophie Mae Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Marion, Ohio
    Hello, I have a Muscovy sitting on a large nest of eggs. (28) She built the nest right in a corner between the house and the fenced in area I keep my dogs in. I will not be home when they are due to hatch on Fathers day. I have made a safe area to keep the Mamma and her babies once they have hatched. I was wondering if I should move her and the nest to the safe area before the hatch. Will she abandon the nest or continue to sit? Oh and a side note...when I checked the nest there were 3 chick eggs in there, I am thinking that they should hatch on Flag day.....cute names, Star, Spangled and Banner:D

2. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    I would be afraid she would abandon them. But that's just me and I have never had a duck go broody so I wouldn't know. Sorry

3. Sophie Mae

Aug 30, 2010
    Marion, Ohio
    I wish I would of, something got her and half of the eggs...[​IMG]

4. animalpro24

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    Oh no! I'm so sorry.

5. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Awww! That's too bad. Were you able to save any of the eggs and put them under another broody or an incubator?

6. Sophie Mae

Aug 30, 2010
    Marion, Ohio
    I put them in an incubator, I do not know if I found them in time. The hatch date was Fathers day weekend so I guess I will not have long to wait. I have a secure place if they do hatch though:)

7. Big Dreamer

Big Dreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    Same thing happend to me. My dog got out and we didnt know and my Trudy tried to protect her nest and Riplee killed her my parents said she was "Playing" But when she got out before she was biting the tail feathers of the other ducks as they flew off. It really sucked...But i got them in and incubator and they are spposed to hatch on July 4th

8. animalpro24

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    Hope they hatch. Again so sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by