Close to House

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by NanaNeen, Mar 27, 2016.

1. NanaNeen

NanaNeen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2016
    My new coop is close in proximity to the house. With summer coming I'm wondering if that will be an odor problem. 6 Leghorns in a 3'×14' ground area. Any suggestions to help me be proactive?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  2. beautifulpirate

beautifulpirate Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016
    42 square foot for 6 birds is going to be to your advantage as far as smell goes. The more space you have for them, the less it tens to smell. Given there are a lot of other variables. Chickens put off a lot of ammonia so a well ventilated coop helps that stagnant ammonia scent not to linger. Also what is the bedding situation in the coop and run? Deep liter or sand seem to be the two strongest methods for keeping odors down. A large part of it, will be your consistency with cleaning the coop, whether it be turning pine shavings, scooping poop once a day, scraping down poop boards and cleaning roosts, etc.

3. NanaNeen

Mar 24, 2016
    They are on ground.should I have something else under them?

4. beautifulpirate

beautifulpirate Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016
    Do you mean that you have a dirt floor in your coop?

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    A better description(and pics) of your coop and run would help.
    Is the 3x14 the coop size or the run size?

Wetness will make the odors bloom significantly, so good drainage in run area and keeping the coop very dry will go along way to reducing odors.

6. NanaNeen

Mar 24, 2016
    It is the ground/run area. It is dirt. 3'×6' is covered and the remaining 8' will be open covered only by wire. We will add that area in the next couple weeks.[​IMG]

7. NanaNeen

Mar 24, 2016
    This unit has a ground area of 3'×6'...
    We had a hard rain yesterday and no puddling problems so far. Fingers crossed :)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by