Close to laying

burchy

Chirping
Jun 17, 2022
Cocoa, Florida
I have 2 Leghorns and 2 Americanas that are 17-18 weeks old. They free range about 12 hours a day. I still feed them starter feed but they hardly eat it anymore. In the evening I give them a blend of oats, two grain, milworm and crickets ( just a handful ). My girls look and act healthy. What I need is opinion, advice or criticism on if I’m doing ok or need to change anything. I’m a first timer on raising chickens.
Burchy

Attachments

• 1E8EFF6E-7B28-42E9-BC9A-A0CE4C3611EA.jpeg
    1E8EFF6E-7B28-42E9-BC9A-A0CE4C3611EA.jpeg
    886.9 KB · Views: 9
If they free range and don't want feed anymore they're probably getting enough from free ranging to keep them full. I would continue offering the starter until they start laying, just offer as much as they'll eat in the evenings, no more than that so it doesn't get wasted.

If they free range and don't want feed anymore they're probably getting enough from free ranging to keep them full. I would continue offering the starter until they start laying, just offer as much as they'll eat in the evenings, no more than that so it doesn't get wasted.
Their feeder is full at all times

Your leghorns will start laying soon and will need a separate container of oyster shells. They will take what they need. I noticed that my leghorns do eat less and rather prefer to forage there food.

Hope this helps!❤️

Sounds like a good chicken day to me! Question though, do they go back and forth between coop and ranging area? You want to make sure that they are aware of nest boxes. Do you have golf balls or other fake egg in the boxes yet? When mine start to lay I walk around their ranging area often to make sure they haven't created a hidden place to lay eggs that is not in the coop. And of course when they start to lay, switch from Starter to Layer. You're doing great!

Sounds like a good chicken day to me! Question though, do they go back and forth between coop and ranging area? You want to make sure that they are aware of nest boxes. Do you have golf balls or other fake egg in the boxes yet? When mine start to lay I walk around their ranging area often to make sure they haven't created a hidden place to lay eggs that is not in the coop. And of course when they start to lay, switch from Starter to Layer. You're doing great!
They go back in mostly in the evening. I already have fake eggs in their nesting boxes.

Back
Top Bottom