1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Close to laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by krissteff, Jul 21, 2011.

1. krissteff

krissteff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Tennessee
    [​IMG]

Ophelia had a growth spurt. She's 15 weeks old and her comb and wattles turned big and red over the past week. She's a golden comet. I have another pullet from the same hatch and she isn't nearly as "grown-up" looking. I also have three pullets of different breeds that are a week older, and none of them have combs this impressive in color.

Soooo, my question for the experienced chicken-keepers: Should I be egg hunting now, do you think? Or does she have a few weeks of growing to do yet?

2. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    A few weeks yet...

3. ChickenAl

ChickenAl Diagnosis...Chicken-Headed

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    Getting close. Watch those wattles. As they start to grow rapidly and get full you should be at the POL. Our GCs are 17 weeks and some are starting to squat. The amberlinks started laying at 16 weeks when their wattles got long and were swinging on the sides of their head.

4. krissteff

krissteff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Tennessee
    I'm getting very excited. Although, I'm also relieved she has a little time yet. I wanted to do a few revisions to their indoor area before they start to lay!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by