Close-ups of mystery chicks from McMurray--any guesses?

OK, just got my Murray McMurray catalog today and it was quite helpful in identifying the chicks!! About 1/2 of the chickens aren't available to ship after July 8th, so that narrows it down. Plus none of the mystery chicks have Polish heads, feathered feet, or are Bantams (I don't think? I would notice their size discrepancy, right?)

Here's generally what we've narrowed it down to:

Black chicks could possibly be: Black Australorps, Barred Rocks, or Black Star

Light, fluffy all yellow: Pearl-White Leghorn, Red Star (boys), White Rocks, or Cornish Game Hens

All Buff/tan--Buff Orpington, Red Star (girls), New Hamphshire Reds

Chipmunk Striped: Easter Eggers/Ameracuanas, Single Comb Brown Leghorn or possibly Welsummers (though those are listed as "rare" and I have a bunch!)

And "Turkens" aren't listed as a "Rare Breed"--so does that mean my surprise "Rare Breed Chick" is not the Turken?!?

I also got my second order (what a horrible saga!) from Chicken Scratch Poultry yesterday. Two have died--one DOA and one last night. I got Olive Eggers, Welsummers, Black Copper Marans, Lavender Orpingtons, and Ameracuana. These are all easy to identify.

Can't wait to watch the mystery chicks grow up and see what they become! Hoping to keep two of the sweetest and prettiest roosters. With 20+- hens, I should be able to keep two Roos, right?

Sarah

I thought Black Jersey Giant as well, but the catalog says they only ship until July 8th...so I'm guessing by late August, they wouldn't be shipping day-old babies? IDK. Black Austrolorps would be fine by me! Or Barred Rocks.

I don't know if this is helpful, but this year I ordered a couple "standard brown egg layer assortments" from My Pet Chicken. Their website said that they take the extra female birds (sometimes more chicks hatch than expected) that apply for that assortment, and use them for the different shipments. So if Buff Orpingtons weren't available on the website for August 24th, it still might be possible to get Buff Orpingtons in the assortment order. That may have made absolutely no sense... What I'm trying to say is that they might be Jersey Giants, even if the website states they were unavailable :)

Also, My Pet Chicken gave a list of what you might expect for the assortment, but I got a couple chicks that weren't listed, but were still standard brown egg layers. Buff Brahma wasn't on their list, yet I got two for my shipment! So I think that just because Turkens weren't listed doesn't mean your little fellow isn't a Turken. Although, every hatchery does it differently.

I'm so sorry to hear about your two chicks from the other shipment! I too had two chicks die within the first few days. It was heart wrenching, but the other little chickies definitely helped in cheering me up! It's sad, but I would never change ordering them just because I had some bad luck with a few. I hope that the others continue to thrive!

Aww, thank you!! We're really getting a kick out of them--so far, I've really enjoyed taking care of them and just watching them...we have a lot for a first time chicken person, so I'm making sure to spend a lot of time reading and researching. Love that stuff, so it's fun, not a chore.

Maybe they're some of the earlier breeds in the catalog--I guess I just figured they would certainly be done hatching them 5 weeks after they ended shilling them but who knows!!

I just found the "guess the breed/sex" forum, so I can post pics over there. I don't want to make mistakes with pullets vs. Roos later on!!

Sarah

Back
Top Bottom