Close windows?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kurt s, Jul 2, 2011.

1. kurt s

kurt s Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2010
    Southern Maine
    Do you folks leave your coop windows open in summer or close them for protection? I have 1/2" hardware cloth on the outside but am wondering it its safer to close the windows at night.

2. Nostalchic

Nostalchic Chillin' With My Peeps

I have hardware cloth secured with washers and screws thru wood strips covering the window openings. I leave the windows open 24/7 all summer. There is also a high ventilation opening on the north side of the coop, so good circulation in the coop all night. The nights here are pretty cool (50's to 60's) but the coop stays pretty comfortable all day. I also have electric wire around the top of the run, so any nocturnal predators would have to brave that, and break thru the hardware cloth to get to the chickens. Fortunately, no bears around here.

3. Hoosierchickens

Hoosierchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2011
    Cloverdale, IN
    I leave mine open. Mine are covered with hardware cloth and very secure. The windows are also enclosed in the run. The gable vents are open too and exposed to the outside but also secured with hardware cloth. I can't imagine anything being able to get in through any of them.

4. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Leave them open unless you have bad weather coming in that may blow rain inside the coop. Birds don't mind cool weather, and do better in it than hot stuffy coops

5. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    I'd agree and leave them open. We're building a walk in run so we can leave the coop door open all summer for added ventilation. Chickens like air and do pretty well in snow. We had six week olds in snow and they didn't mind it.

6. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

open...[​IMG]

7. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    I have windows on all four sides of my coop, they are 16x24 house windows on hinges so I can open them totally. On the inside of the coop I put hardware cloth over the window holes and made a wood frame to hold it tight in place. In the winter I will open the windows a bit like you normally open them but during the summer I unhook the window and leave them totally open.

8. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Yep, leave 'em open. My birds went to roost last night but were still panting from the heat.
    I have openings on all four sides. Best thing I did when I designed it!

9. reksat

reksat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    western,MD
    I leave mine open also unless rain is forcasted. I just have old metal screen used in windows from the 1970's , and it seems to be working fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by