Closed eye and lethargic

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Monstermouth, Oct 31, 2016.

1. Monstermouth

Monstermouth Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2016
    Illinois
    My 9 month old barred rock, Laverne has one eye closed and is fluffed up and not herself. No nasal discharge, no bubbles on closed eye, no debris in her eye. The eye does look "wet". Her vent area is a little messy. She can stand up, has no interest in treats. She has been vaccinated for mareks, and did not have medicated feed as a chick. What is this, and what is the best course of treatment? I'm borrowing a dog crate in a few hours to isolate her. Thank you![​IMG]

2. Cluck Clucks

Cluck Clucks New Egg

Oct 31, 2016
    I have the exact same thing going on with one of my barred rock chickens. This morning when I went to let the hens out she remained on her roost. I thought she was still sleeping (which was unusual). I went back about two hours later and she still was in the same place. I have since been able to get her to drink some water but she almost acts drunk in the way she walks. She keeps one eye closed the majority of the time. What could this be?? I hope someone can help us.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How does her crop feel--full, puffy, hard, or empty? Look inside her eye for any dirt or foreign object, and rinse it out with saline or water. Apply some plain neosporin or Terramycin ointment to her eye twice a day. Watch for any sneezing, gasping, or wheezing, along with nasal drainage. Some respiratory diseases, such as mycoplasma can cause watery or swollen eyes. Tylan 50 injectable given orally or by injection 1ml twice a day for 5 days can treat mycoplasma (MG.)

4. Monstermouth

Monstermouth Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2016
    Illinois
    Thank you eggcessive, I will check her crop in the morning and do all of your suggestions! What connection does her crop have to the rest of these symptoms?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by