closed eye lids-no symptoms

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by janetk, May 18, 2010.

1. janetk

janetk Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2009
    I have a chicken who has an eye shut. There's no crust, swelling, oozing, nothing. it's just shut. Her other eye had shut about 9 months ago, and now is open but has an eye-lid colored bump on the lower eye-lid. it maybe has grown slightly since it appeared. there were no other symptoms with that eye either. she seems fine otherwise. i let them out today and she's in the yard with the others. i'm sure her vision isn't real good as her "good" eye has a limited opening. any ideas? i did dust them with Carbaryl last weekend-maybe that got in her eye. hasn't shown up in others. she's about 4 years old. don't know if she's still laying. poops are normal.

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Have you tried to open her eye? Open it for her gently and use a warm compress if it sticks to begin with. Not sure what kind of "bump" she has, but possibly fowl pox? Any other bumps on her face/wattles/comb?

3. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I agree, possibly pox.... but does she get picked on often? It could be if it has happened before and is only one eye at a time with no other symptoms.... maybe she is getting pecked in the face by the other birds. Do they fight over nest boxes at all? Or food?

4. janetk

janetk Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2009
    no with the fighting. she has opened her eye. i'm gonna try to get my husband to take a pic and post. no other bumps other than the one on her lower eyelid.

5. sassymo

sassymo New Egg

May 16, 2010
    I'm interested in this too since I just noticed that one of my BR's (who I just got a week ago but is supposedly around 5-6 months old) has only one eye that opens. The other eye will open but she likes to keep it closed a lot. I haven't noticed any crusting or bumps but honestly I don't know if I could recognize any problems. I'd be interested to see your pic and what others have to say. I'll watch for the fighting thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by