closed eye on pullet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by plantguy90, Jul 26, 2010.

1. plantguy90

plantguy90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Moorpark, CA
    Just noticed that my youngest layer, who is now at least 13 weeks old, has one closed eye. It doesn't look too swollen, although there is some puffiness, but I cant tell what trauma caused the initial injury. What should I do? Its not pussing or dripping, its just closed, and a bit red (?) and slight swelling.

2. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I would mix Tylan50 1:4 ratio with Saline Solution. One drop twice a day.

3. plantguy90

Oct 4, 2009
    Moorpark, CA
    Thanks I hope I can find it close by.

4. esjro

esjro Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Stockton, NJ
    If you can, keep her isolated from the rest of the flock while it heals. The injury may have been caused by another chicken pecking her eye.

5. plantguy90

Oct 4, 2009
    Moorpark, CA
    i got some stuff called Vetericyn from the local feed store, lets see if this helps.

6. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    If they are out on free range, and you have dry grass- don't forget to check for foxtails. Usually a closed puffy chicken eye if an upper respiratory virus or bacteria- but in the last 3 months, I have removed foxtails from 2 birds here that were under the lid (closed eye and puffy lid).

7. juliawitt

juliawitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    I just found the exact same thing with my 1 year old layer. She does not appear to have a think wrong with her except a closed eye and it appears somewhat swollen. My hens have been attacking the fresh corn cobs I've been putting in their pen, maybe she was pecked? I also let her free range for a short time each day....maybe grass in her eye? I am going to irrigate with saline when it cools off, but should I give her Tylan or another antibiotic for infection??

8. plantguy90

Oct 4, 2009
    Moorpark, CA
    Well the swelling has gotten slightly bigger, and its making her stand all crook-necked as well. Poop looks normal, she has been quarrantined and seems to be doing better by herself instead of with all the other birds. I have antibiotics, is there a chance she has an upper respiratory infection? I did just lose another pullet to something which I could not identify, she went down quick and the healthy birds really terrorized her. Any thoughts?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by