Closed eye on roo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by thefishery, Jul 21, 2010.

1. thefishery

thefishery Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I noticed that Jakes eye was closed a couple days ago. I checked all the coop and I had one BO that looked like she had a swollen lid. I gave them both an injection of antibiotics and I separated him since his was so bad looking. The next day the BO looked good as new but now three days later Jakes eye is closed and he isn't opening it at all. What do I need to do now?

2. sally4500

sally4500 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    NH
    My chicks eye got crusty and the vet gave me some triple antibiotic eye ointment. It had to be applied 3 times a day for 10 days, but it worked. Maybe you could give them a call and pick it up to avoid an office charge.

3. thefishery

Oct 19, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    [​IMG] there isn't a vet within driving distance

4. jjthinkagain

jjthinkagain Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    Google First State Veterinary Supply. You can call there and order antibiotic eye ointment as well as correct oral antibiotic though I'm not sure from the descrip if that's what's needed here. But talk to them and they'll advise what you need. Downside is that it will take some time by mail but maybe it can be hurried along.
    JJ

5. thefishery

Oct 19, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Quote:Thanks I'll do that.

6. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    How is Jake doing?
    JJ