Closed vent

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by murdock, Oct 13, 2012.

1. murdock

murdock New Egg

Oct 13, 2012
    Two year old chicken appears to have a restricted vent, inflamed and hot with a hard distended area under the vent.

2. Hi, and welcome to BYC. I am bumping this post so you can get the help you need. Sorry I can't help more.

3. cowcreekgeek

cowcreekgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2012
    Hurricane, WV
    I might guess that she's experienced difficulties with either not being able to lay an egg, or damage caused by the process. Or, impaction. Or ... for certain, this sounds urgent. More information would be helpful, as would somebody more experienced than I.

Pictures are always a good idea.

For certain: Isolate her from the others, for both their safety and hers -- there are diseases/parasites that can cause similar symptoms as you've described, and they will most likely pick at the distended area, even to the point of pulling parts out, causing her to die of shock.

Here's a link to a brief presentation of slides on the anatomy of the chicken, which may help you determine what, if any, internal organs are involved. Also, click each of the four links in the signature (the footer of my post), and bookmark for reference.

Good move (not that my response will be particularly useful, save for another bump ~'-)

4. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  5. cowcreekgeek

Sep 14, 2012
    Hurricane, WV
    No better way to explain why I felt compelled to respond to your comment than to share the one I left for Karen, The Chicken Chick:

[​IMG]
    (thumb's up, for you ~'-)​

6. murdock

murdock New Egg

Oct 13, 2012
    Thanks to all for the support, sorry to take so long with this follow up. Isolated Her from the other two chickens,( long rubbermade container in the bath tub), hand fed grapes and other soft foods for several days. Made a mixture of molasses and water as suggested on B.Y.C. as well as four treatments of preperation H. Day five she started drinking and nibbling on Her own.
    Reintroduced Her to the others, lots of loud chatter and posturing but eventually they worked it out. Next day she started preening herself again and is now back to normal.
    Grateful for the B.Y.C. Forum. Urban Veterinarians in general do not offer a lot of information about chickens nor do you want to spend a lot of money on a sick hen. Anyone with a large chicken operation usually suggests that the axe is the best medicine. Many Thanks, Murdock

7. cowcreekgeek

Sep 14, 2012
    Hurricane, WV
    Great timing for great news ... glad to hear it ~'-)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by