CLOSED

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SummerTimeFarm, Feb 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SummerTimeFarm

SummerTimeFarm Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2013
    Closed

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  2. ChickenPox

ChickenPox Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Middle GA
    Aren't they all the same? LOL!

3. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    Might be the wrong place to ask about this. Pretty much everyone on these forums is PROBABLY raising their own chickens because they found out the truth about store-bought eggs versus home-produced eggs.

So you'll probably get the same answer from all of us. "It's not the color, it's the way it's raised. Color means nothing except breed."

4. SummerTimeFarm

Dec 15, 2013
    I understand that. I'm asking this just for a report/experiment.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Personally I like the green eggs because they are more fun and I get some interesting reactions when I give them away at a local food bank. They are harder to candle though. I can’t see inside some of them at all. But nutritionally they are the same based on egg shell color.

I did have fun at that food bank one time. An older gentleman said the green eggs were lower in cholesterol. I very politely disagreed with him but said I had a carton of eggs that were lower in cholesterol and opened a carton of brown pullet eggs. Not only were they lower in cholesterol, they were lower in fats, fiber, protein, and all nutrition. Since they were smaller than a regular egg, they were lower in everything.

6. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    If you want my opinion about which is better FOR ME, I'll say blue eggs. Not green or "easter egger" type, but actual blue eggs.

Why? Because they're easier to find when my birds are free-ranging! LOL!

1 person likes this.
  7. ChickenPox

ChickenPox Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Middle GA
    Ok, I suppose I can dig back into way before I was educated on the matter and thought that the color of the shell made a difference, and I would have said brown were better. Back then I didn't know blue or green or any other color chicken eggs existed. I just want the colors in my flock because they look cool. All my eggs will be better than store bought! :)

8. Hooligans7

Hooligans7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    North-central Arkansas
    I only have two breeds of chicken, and both breeds lay brown eggs. Since the only eggs my chickens lay are brown eggs, then I would have to say that brown eggs are my favorite. Having said that, if anyone offered me fresh, pastured eggs of any other color whatsoever, I would gladly accept them without hesitation.
    What are you driving at, anyway? If you mean what color of eggs are better *nutritionally,* then it isn't a good question because shell color doesn't matter. It's what's inside that counts.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  9. SummerTimeFarm

Dec 15, 2013
    I am not hinting at anything. I am just getting information for a graph presentaition. I'm not stating anthing. I am JUST asking opinions. My belief is even more detailed then what had been said. Yes, I am WELL aware it's not the color of the shell. I teach children's agriculture classes.

10. ChirpChickens

ChirpChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2013
    brown

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by