Closer to being completley done, more pics!

CoyoteMagic

RIP ?-2014
12 Years
Apr 20, 2007
only the shadow knows.....
Hey ya'll, haven't been around lately as I am back to work. EEEEEWWW!!!
This weekend though we managed to nearly finish the new coop and the girls moved in last night.The coop is 8X8, 6ft front, 4ft rear which made it easy for the roof! Here's a view from the front.
FINISHED2.jpg

I know OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOGLY!! But hey the paint was $5 a bucket at Lowe's and it's exterior grade paint! The board is where I still need to finish the pop door to the so that they can free-range. There will be a ramp. I've raised it in hopes of keeping my "special needs" chick from getting out. She likes to free range with the rest of them but I'm afraid that something is going to eat her.
I also still need to put in the windows. Dunno how many of you know anything about the Carolina's in August but you need as many windows open as you can get!!! I've got some polycarb that I'm going to use & I'm just going to put it in a hindged frame. I'll be filling in all the little gaps with some of that foam insulation. I admit there are a few "gaps" but hey I think I did pretty good. My hubby helped me by nailing the dog run to the rear of the coop but I built the whole thing by myself!!

Here's an updated pic of "Tessy the Headless Chicken"
TESSY8.jpg

Here's some shots of the inside.
INSIDE2.jpg

INSIDE1.jpg

I tried to get the other 2 corners but the back of the coop is only 4ft high and they didn't come out very good.I'm going to set up both corners with a milk crate and bucket nestboxes, that way they have their choice of which one to use.
The pop door on the inside leads to the 10x10 dog run.
I also put a clear piece of polycarb in the roof for added light. There is no elect. out here so this will have to do for light come winter.

FINISHED1.jpg

We kept them on one side of the run yesterday evening hoping they would go into the coop which thankfully they did. I found them all (except Tessy) perched in there when it got dark.

The girls are now 18 weeks old and getting big!
CHIC1.jpg

I'm planning on keeping them locked into the coop/run until early afternoon in hopes that they will (when they start) lay in the nest boxes.

So whatcha think?!

Last edited:
Hey Coyote, it looks great and I love the color! What a fantastic job you did!
yippiechickie.gif

Question

I've got 8 chickens right now and my coup is big enough to hold at least another 8 comfortably. (I'll be getting those in the spring
jumpy.gif
) How many nest boxes do I need for say 20 chickens?

You can see 2 & 1/2 boxes in the pics (one corner isn't completely done yet) Do I need more than this?

I'll be adding more roost space too to accomidate more birds.

Ok here we go.

This is what I started with as nest boxes.
INSIDE2.jpg

INSIDE1.jpg

Yesterday I worked on this.
INSIDE1-1.jpg

I put an old shutter over the top of them to keep poo out and hopefully stop them from roosting on top and pooping in the boxes.

This layout also affords me to opportunity to add more nest boxes later if needed. The pole in the center is a support pole for the roof. Kind of just in case of heavy snow. Rare but possible in the piedmont of NC.

There is a single perch that runs from the back side of the center pole to the back wall.

That is the waterer in front of the post. It's up off the ground to keep the straw out of it.

The pophole leads to the run out behind the coop.

ROOST2.jpg

This roost set up is just to the right of the rear pophole. That's the feeder in the corner. I wanted it way from the water hoping to keep it dry. Why do my chicken splash water? Were they ducks in another life?!

ROOST1.jpg

This perch is under the window on the front left side. The windows have 2x4 galv. wire and 1/2in hardware cloth over them. Will be adding plexiglass before cooler weather hits.
There is a single perch under the other window which is even with the popdoor that leads out into the yard for them to free range. (haven't finished that part yet)

I have enough room between the nestboxes and the perch under the left window to put in a mini pen for introducing new chickens. I think I have room for 8 more.

2.jpg

Here are 2 of my girls. Do they look like they are ready to lay yet?!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom