Closet a good place

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Heathero617, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Heathero617

Heathero617 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    Is my walkin closet a good place to set my bator? My bathroom has tons of extra light and not a steady temp with the skylight and everything. I think my closet would be the most steady temp. Any thoughts on this? My eggs should be here either today or tomorrow so i want to have it all preheated and ready to go when they arrive.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  2. Littleturkey123

Littleturkey123 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2011
    Owen Sound, Canada
    i think that the closet sounds like a good place for it. [​IMG]

3. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Sounds "ok", I wouldn't want them hatching in my closet because of the dust and fuzz that comes with hatching chicks, plus the order would then be in your closet. They don't stink, but there is an oder that would be in your clothes. Plus if you have an egg go bad that would really stink.

Laundry room
    Desk
    Counter
    Book shelf

All good choices as they allow for good air flow which is also needed for a good hatch.

4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Closets are a popular choice.

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Agree with all the above, and there's added risk of fumes if you have dry-cleaned clothing or moth balls anywhere. The dust would definitely be an issue as well as the unique smell that comes with hatching.

I have a small room off our bedroom and I keep the door closed to keep the cats/dogs away from the incubator. Since we are using AC right now, the temp stays pretty level. Even with the door closed I can smell it, though.
    Be sure to start thinking about where you are going to brood them, that's incredibly messy!

6. Heathero617

Heathero617 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    ell my walk in closet isnt so walk in since i have stuff jammed in there until my new shed gets built. In my master bath, I don't use the shower and have a couple of totes in there, even with the skylight and me keeping the vent and blinds pulled, would it be ok to put it in there? I mean I would ASSUME it would be ok since there is a thermostat in the bator to regulate the temps. By the way, my eggs were delivered shortly after my initial post.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by