Closet Chickens

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Zadien, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Zadien

Zadien Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2015
    Hey everyone, new to the forum. But not to the thought.

I have been staring at this empty closet in my apartment thinking I could put those small chickens that lay eggs in there.

There is a ton of vertical space for them. Not so much horizontally. 8' high, 4' wide, 2' deep.

Would this suffice for 2-3 chickens and be humane (relatively speaking) for them? [I mean they are just birds in the end]

Thanks.

2. JanetMarie

JanetMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2014
    Michiana
    No, it's not humane at all. You're just duplicating a small version of a factory farm. Saying they're just birds in the end is exactly the factory farm mentality. Just buy eggs at the store.

1 person likes this.
  3. Zadien

Oct 5, 2015
    Yes exactly that. Factory chickens.

I also have a large balcony which I would like to put them on. 10'x9'

More humane?

(My dream is to live in a self sufficient home, and will have to produce chickens for food)

4. JanetMarie

JanetMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2014
    Michiana
    The problem with a balcony is they could fall, get injured, and not have a way to get back up to the balcony.

You should wait until you have a place where you can keep your chickens outside, on the ground in a free-range environment, or a large fenced area. Until then you can plan for your dream and look around on BYC and learn.

BTW, Welcome!!

5. alije

alije Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Slovenia
  6. TalkALittle

TalkALittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Welcome to BYC. I see a couple of really big things wrong with your idea. Firstly, chickens aren't like other birds that can fly. They don't use vertical space except to roost and they really only do that at night. The rest of the time they spend foraging and scratching on the ground. You would need much more horizontal space to meet their needs.

Secondly, the little chickens you refer to are called bantams. They do lay eggs, but they often go broody. That's when a hen's hormones tell her body to stop laying eggs and sit on the nest to hatch them. Even if you take away the eggs she will still feel like sitting and she won't lay. I have two bantams and I've only gotten about 2 dozen eggs from them this whole year.

Thirdly, you live in an apartment. Chickens create a ton of dander. Lots more than a parrot or other common pet bird. Your apartment will be covered in dust. They make noise too. Even hens. I would be surprised if your landlord would allow it. Chickens are not considered "just birds". They are classified as poultry or livestock by most municipalities. My city has ordinances that specifically ban the keeping of any poultry in any human dwelling. If you are found out you could be forced to give up the chickens, be fined, and your landlord would likely have grounds to evict you.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  7. dheltzel

dheltzel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    If you are set on this idea, start with quail, either coturnix or button quail. See how you like them, you will get some small eggs to eat and much more size-appropriate pet.

8. TalkALittle

Dec 15, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Wow. I watched that video and I'd bet the (proverbial) farm that the lady's landlord would throw a fit if they knew what she was doing. And that work light heat lamp fire hazard is a risk to the entire building. How disrespectful to her landlord and inconsiderate of the well-being of her neighbors. If she wants fresh eggs then go buy them from the co-op or the organic market all the hipsters in the city shop at.

9. TalkALittle

Dec 15, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Yes! Good idea. And quail are generally not considered poultry and so likely won't be subject to any city ordinance.

10. Zadien

Oct 5, 2015
    Chickens are birds. I don't care what the government defines them as.

I'll look up the Quail idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by