Closet Conversion?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Zollydog, May 24, 2008.

1. Zollydog

Zollydog Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2008
    Athens, GA
    Hi, guys -- I'm a newbie here, and have 14 4 week-olds that need to move out to their new digs. I plan to turn them into two free-range herds, one of which I'd like to see going into an ark (my carpenter friend and I are debating the format right now) and the other portion into a closet that I want to convert into a coop. I think this will work logistically, but I don't see anyone else doing it. So, is there any reason that it won't work? Has anyone else done it?

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I would need to see a picture of the closet or have a better description to help you on that one. People make lots of unique things into great coops so it probably will work, I just don't know what exactly you have in mind.

If you are planning on having two free ranging flocks you may want to tell that to the chickens! If they are out free ranging at the same time they will most probably 'become' one flock and stay together. If, however, you plan to let them out at different times then no worries.

3. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Hello and Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

As Chirpy said, a pic of the closet would be a big help.

Also, check out the Coop Design section. There are alot of great ideas there.

Hope this helps!

Dawn

4. Zollydog

May 24, 2008
    Athens, GA
    It's a pretty ordinary closet -- roughly 4X4, in the garage area of my barn. My plan is to put an egress door outside at roughly 5' high, put three nesting boxes opposite at 18" in height (recessed in the wall), and alternate roosts around the rest of the interior. I'll construct a hardware cloth run for the short-term, so the little guys can go out without being predator bait. And then later I'll retire the run.

5. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Certainly sounds doable. I might mention that a 4x4 space will only allow for four chickens (unless they are Bantams). So, make sure you build your tractor large enough to house the rest.

We would still love to see pictures!

Good luck.

6. Zollydog

May 24, 2008
    Athens, GA
    I'll send photos soon, but I got the coop closet started and holding chickens, but not finished. We ended up taking the existing 4' x 4' closet, predator-proofing it, and building a carefully screened window and nest box into one wall. We also added a kickboard to the front to hold in shavings.

Currently the nest box holds the food and water -- it's poorlyish designed -- my husband decided to give it a door rather than a lid, so it needs more work. Eventually we will add a food/water shelf at the height of an existing one -- around 4' of height opposite the window. I currently have an old ladder propped crosswise across the rear foot or so of closet for the kids' roosting pleasure. We will need to add permanent roosts, a pop hole and runway, and the food/water shelf.

The kids seem to like it, though, partially done though it is. We sent two girls to their new home, so we're down to 12. We expect to reduce the herd down to 8 in a few months.

7. Zollydog

May 24, 2008
    Athens, GA
    Here are some photos of the closet/coop. So far this is working really well. The chicks are outside for a few hours a day, and otherwise hang out in here.

First, this is a skewed view of the closet. Basically, what we did was...

1. install a kickboard about 10" high, which we can use for the deep bedding method when we're ready. This is lightly screwed in, so it'll come right out.

2. Build a nest box -- this one is 18" off the ground, with a 4" lip, and is about 32" wide. My stubborn spouse insisted on having it open from the side rather than the top, so it will also need a lip in the rear or a reconfigured lid.

3. Blocked holes and such.

4. Added a window. This is covered in hardware cloth from both sides.

5. Popped an old ladderinside. The theory is that the ladder will allow the chicks to roost at the level comfortable to them, access the different levels of the coop, and so on. So far a group of them like to hang out at window level.

Stuff we will do...

1. Install a shelf about 5' in height with food and water. Water is already resting on a ledge at that height, but the shelf needs to be extended to allow for food.

2. Install roosts.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by