Closet Hatcher (AKA DH) wants chicks for his birthday????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dsqard, Jan 20, 2011.

1. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I just went through my first time hatching chicks. It was an amazing thing to watch. Through out the incubation, DH acted like he wasn't very interested although I would catch him "lurking" over the incubator every now and again. He did watch some of them come out of the eggs and thought it was neat to see them hatch. I started collecting eggs this week for another BYC'er who lives close to us so she can hatch some chicks. Last night DH says "we need to do a St. Patty's Day hatch (his birthday)" He bowled me over with that! He knows I am planning on doing an Easter hatch but he wants chicks for his birthday? [​IMG] So I sat down and figured out the dates and there is plenty of time between hatches to get the incubator cleaned up and ready for the Easter hatch. Anyone else have a "reluctant" [​IMG] spouse who is coming over to the dark side? [​IMG]

2. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Congratulations, dsqard, I knew you could do it!

3. Lifesong Farm

Lifesong Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2010
    Noble County
    Yep. I have one. I caught him holding a chick yesterday (it needed saved. The other one was pecking it) and he went to the bathroom last night after going to bed. He comes back in and tells me that he can see a hole in one of the eggs. The incubator is on the kitchen counter which is the rest of the way down the hall and in another room. [​IMG]

4. greeneacre

greeneacre Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Garner, nc
    If only... My DH was the only one home when my first hatch started popping out. My bater is homemade and I thought that the chicks would stay in the turner--4in sides--. I stressed to my DH that the lid needed to stay on the to keep the humidity at the proper level. We called back in forth for 2 hours while they were and then he wouldn't answer the phone and refused to answer my questions while I was driving home. Seem the chicks kept trying to commit suicide every 15 mins or so and whenever a new one hatched. They were climbing over the the 4 in board and getting stuck on the wire or falling into or onto the light bulb. Every time he looked in the bator he had to resuce a chick. All the chicks were just fine at the end and I made suitable asjustments to prevent that from happening again. DH WILL NOT go near the bator at hatch time anymore. [​IMG]

5. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

My husband encouraged me to get into the chicken business so I would have something to do. Now we hatch 2000 chicks every Spring to sell to the feed stores and such. Little did I know my "hobby" would turn out to be a FULL time job lol.

6. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Quote:Isn't it funny how they will act like it doesn't matter to them and yet when one needs to be "saved" [​IMG] or they notice something (DH actually found our first pip on the hatch) they jump in? [​IMG] Too funny. He calls me "psycho lady" [​IMG] but I think he enjoys this as much as me some times!

7. buzymom13

buzymom13 I run the Alien Chicken Asylum

Apr 20, 2010
    [​IMG]

My DH too! He was like, "chickens why chickens". Now when someone says something about our eggs/chickens/ducks. He starts into a 20 minute speech about how it's great to "have your own eggs" and "the chickens are so neat to watch" and "the family just enjoys raising them" [​IMG]

I wanted ducks last summer. OH NO NO DUCKS! (BTW we got 2 ducks) and now...."The ducks are his favs and they are so funny to watch!" [​IMG]

It's funny to hear him but why do they put us thru the arguments? Silly men.... LOL [​IMG]

8. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Quote:Oh yeah I know all about the arguments [​IMG] At first it was, you can have three chicks. I told him I was getting four and I got four. He did help build the first coop and actually had fun with it. Next I wanted more so I told him and he says, I'm not building another coop. I got five more and bought a coop that was supposed to house all of them. Not so much so I built the next one and I think he felt kinda left out since I did most of it myself although he did get a kick out of watching me have fun. [​IMG] Then followed the incubator and first hatch. Now it is him suggesting more hatches!? [​IMG] Gotta agree silly men! [​IMG]

9. Sumatra503

Sumatra503 Kozy Orchard Farms

Sep 24, 2010
    Quote:I smell a St. Patrick's Day Hatchalong thread. nudge, nudge.[​IMG]

Dad claims to hate it when I hatch the chicks, but I caught him standing over the Brooder baby talking to the chicks and telling them how cute they were. "That's it little chick. Go get some more water." Finger waggles and points to the water for the chick to find it.

I don't think I've ever seen him stand up so fast.[​IMG]

10. Sumatra503

Sumatra503 Kozy Orchard Farms

Sep 24, 2010
    Mom'd DH is the same way. He hates the chickens, but it was his idea to raise 50 of the stupid Cornish Crosses last year.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by