Closing coop door versus fenced in area.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gr8athearts, Aug 17, 2014.

1. gr8athearts

gr8athearts Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2013
    I have the omlet chicken coop which I am very happy with. It has a proper coop area with a door and then an attached fenced area. I used to close the coop door every night, but now I leave it open and just close the fenced area, which is safe. Do the chickens want the coop door closed or does it not matter?

2. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    The chickens don't care but the predators do. What type of fencing is it? If it's chicken wire you are risking you birds every night. If it's hardware cloth and you have an apron around it to prevent digging under then you are good to go.

3. ezicash

ezicash Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2014
    I use to close my door each night but for the last 2 months I left it open because I could not get up early enough to let my chicks out and they get real loud so I leave that door open but lock the door to their run. At least they can have food and water when they wake and not bother me with their loud crackling noise at 6 am... (smile) I do have chicken wire mesh all around my run (actually a double run) and bricks all around the perimeter in and out so I sleep sound knowing they are safe.

4. welasharon

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    If you read through the predators thread here you will see that chicken wire...even doubled will not keep predators out. It only keeps chickens in. You should be using hardware cloth or 2x4 fencing with hardware cloth two feet up on the bottom and aprons around the perimeters....to keep your chickens as predator proof as possible.

5. gr8athearts

gr8athearts Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2013
    Thanks. The fencing is strong and has a sufficient apron.

6. ezicash

ezicash Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2014
    of course I used hardware cloth. thanks

7. welasharon

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Good! That improves their chances greatly. I build open air pens with a partial roof and a solid wall. I'm in North Florida and it gets so hot here. I have had great success with the hardware cloth. Good luck with the birdies...they do enjoy being able to run around in the morning,. If you make it till 6 am you are doing good...I have one that starts rousing the others at 3:30. He needs a reset button.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by