1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Closing coop door when coop is enclosed in run

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ac3070, Apr 27, 2016.

1. ac3070

ac3070 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2016
    We have an a-frame coop with the coop at the very top of the structure. Should we be closing the door every night or is it ok to allow the chickens to go up/down as they wish? I imagine in winter we will need to make sure it's closed so that they stay warm, right?

Thanks for any advice :)
    Alison

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I don't know where you live so I don't know your climate. Chickens need fresh air more than warmth.
    If you are sure your run is predator proof, you can leave the door open but they won't go in and out at night.

3. ac3070

Apr 17, 2016
    We are in southern Vermont.

The run is fully enclosed with 1/2" hardware cloth.

Thanks for your advice.

4. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Good for you.
    Most of the breeds we raise were developed in climates like yours hundreds of years ago with no concerns about warmth in winter.

5. ac3070

Apr 17, 2016
    Perfect--we will leave it open unless it proves to be a problem. Extra ventilation can't hurt and I love things that allow me to be a little lazy :)

6. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    You are allowed to be lazy as long as they have fresh air, fresh water, good nutrition and predator protection. They'll be fine.

1 person likes this.
  7. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

If your run is as secure as your coop, or at least predator proof, keep it open.

The door is mostly for protection against nighttime predators.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by