Closing coop door....

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickdust, Jun 4, 2012.

1. chickdust

chickdust In the Brooder

Apr 22, 2012
    East Petersburg PA
    So I have 4 birds with an 8x8 run connected to their coop. It is secure. Do I need to close the coop door every night during the warm months? Or can I just let them go in and out as they please? Right now they go in at dark and I go out, open the run door, close the coop door and then close the run door.then repeat it in the morning. I think they would be fine with the coop door itself open since the run door is secure. Am I wrong?

2. bwalden

bwalden Songster

Jan 16, 2012
    Arkansas
    If your run and coop are secure then I would agree they should be ok.

3. bj taylor

bj taylor Songster

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    the question is security. if you have confidence in the security of the run - i can't see a reason why the pop door needs to be closed.

4. yakfishgirl

yakfishgirl In the Brooder

Jul 29, 2011
    We stopped the opening and closing routine a few months ago. The 6:15 wake up call was getting old on the weekends.
    Our coop and run are secure with a roof and edging under the walls. So far, so good.

5. The Lazy L

The Lazy L Songster

Dec 16, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I'm figuring this way.

The coop is elevated (no walls to dig under), 3/4" barn siding with 1/2" welded wire fabric over all the ventilation openings. People door has a dead bolt latch with the option being being padlocked.

[​IMG]

The "secured" run walls and the flat roof are also covered with 1/2" welded wire fabric. 18" of wire fabric skirting to prevent digging under the walls to gain access.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I considered leaving the chicken door open so they could come a go as they please, but decided against it.

1. Coop provides the highest level of security.

2. I don't want the chicks to get the habit of roosting in the run at night. If a predator does gain access then I have to retrain the chicks to go back into the coop at night.

3. I don't want them to lay eggs in the run. Defeats the purpose of the outside accessible nesting boxes.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  6. joan1708

joan1708 Songster

May 14, 2011
    DFW - mid cities, Tx
    Lazy L - I'll bet you've never done anything "half-***". That is a lovely coop. The colors are perfect for your setting. It looks perfect for the human and the chickens. Looks like it is "bomb proof" and will last a couple hundred years.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: