Closing eyes, no other symptoms

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenflock01, Nov 18, 2016.

1. chickenflock01

chickenflock01 Just Hatched

Aug 17, 2016
    Good afternoon, so one hen that was towards the top of the pecking order seems to be getting picked on a bit by several other chickens. I've noticed eyes closing here and there, but not really any other symptoms. She is eating and drinking and running around just fine.

I dusted her as best as I could so I believe she's nice and clean now. Have added electrolytes to their water.

A few other hens have been pushing their weight around so to say, and she seems a little scared of them, which is new behavior, as she used to be high in the pecking order (7 hen flock)

I am concerned on what to do, I really don't want to isolate her if I don't need to. Any advice?

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Is she also standing in one spot with her tail held down low and flat? That is the first sign of a sick chicken.

If all she is doing is closing her eyes from time to time, chances are she's just taking quick naps. Chickens do "cat naps", too.

3. chickenflock01

Aug 17, 2016
    Nope her tail is up and she has plenty of energy and runs. But I just find it so odd that she closes her eyes while standing or laying down. It is a sign that a chicken is sick but she doesnt have any other symptons so I'm really boggled.

4. chickenflock01

Aug 17, 2016
    Bump. Really hoping someone can chime in who has had a chicken who closes her eyes but doesnt display any other symptoms of being sick. She is being picked on a tiny bit, but I think the entire pecking order is changing because other chickens are standing up to each other as well. She is not being injured, but other hens shoo her away from food and such. More of a territorial thing. I believe this will go away once the new pecking order is established, although I cannot be 100% sure. I do have multiple food and water areas so I know she is getting enough food/water as I also observe her eating and am not noticing any weight loss.

5. chickenflock01

Aug 17, 2016
    good morning, looking for any help. she seems to be fine most of the time with the others, but when i give them treats , one hen seems to always pick on her, chases her away from the food. How can i fix this bullying!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by