Closing in broody hen

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by GANANA, Mar 24, 2015.

1. GANANA

GANANA New Egg

Jan 12, 2013
    I have a wonderful hen who is brooding right now. She is in a coop box in the larger coop. The first group of chicks hatched fine and she had them up under her and we took them out as soon as we found them and put them in a brooder. The last 2 chicks I think some of the chickens must have reached in and snatched them as soon as they hatched because we found the shells gone and the chicks on the floor dead. There is a big lip so they can't have fallen out. Is there a problem with covering the brooder box entrance for a few hours when we see signs the chicks are getting ready to hatch? Thanks!!

2. SunkenRoadFarms

SunkenRoadFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2014
    Maryland
    I usually close in my broody hens during hatch for the safety if the chicks. Curious as to why you took the first batch if chicks away.

3. GANANA

GANANA New Egg

Jan 12, 2013
    Because I was worried that one of the larger chickens would discover them and I would loose them all. I guess I need to make a seperate brooding area but for now I just remove them.

4. SunkenRoadFarms

SunkenRoadFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2014
    Maryland
    You should keep the chicks with mama, she will protect them (assuming she did not kill the second batch since the first were fine). Part of the broody process is allowing her to raise the chicks. Not doing so may result in her not overcoming the broodiness or some serious aggressive behavior. If you are worried about the other hens move mama and all babies/unhatched eggs together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by