Closing them off.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ole rooster, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Whether it's the thing to do or not, tonight I'm blocking off the nest. As a lot of you know my BO hatched 6 in one of my nest boxes. Now that they are almost 9 weeks old, it looks stupid as all get out for mama the 6 chicks the size of these, all crowding into one of the nest boxes for bed at night. But the one thing that's got my goat is every morning the nest is packed solid in chicken crap. Every morning I have to replace the straw and clean the entire nest. So tonight they will sleep on the sand in the coop or learn to go to the roost I made for them. I don't know how 7 chickens even fit in that 12 X 16 nest box.

Am I being cruel? [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. ralleia

ralleia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Omaha, NE
    Go for it!

I don't know what is wrong with mama that she insists on going back to the nest box every night. When my hens were mothering chicks, they'd either hunker down in a corner of the henhouse or just get on the roost. If she chose a roost then the chicks (if they were really little) would try to climb on her back.

We have a Brahma that had adopted three chicks. Two chicks would fit on her back, no problems. But the third would always try to climb up there. Invariable, one or more of the chicks would then be dislodged, falling off the roost.

Repeat.

You could watch that going on over and over until you got bored with it. [​IMG]

Nothing wrong with encouraging them to roost like proper chickens!

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I don't blame you one bit. I despise dirty nest boxes. At 9 weeks old they should be fine without mama and past the point of piling up with her in the nest box. So, kick their fluffy butts out, they'll survive. Good luck!

4. Ole rooster

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Well, in about another 15 minutes we'll see what they think about doing it my way. [​IMG]

5. tweetysvoice

tweetysvoice Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2011
    Lawrence, KS
    My Coop
    Curious as to how the night went! :) [​IMG]

6. tash

tash Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2009
    ohio
    I want to see a pic of 7 chickens in a nestbox!

[​IMG]

7. Ole rooster

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    It's funny in a way. The chicks went on in the coop but mama stayed outside. So after dark I went to see what was decided. Mama was in the coop in front of the nest. As far as I know that's where they all stayed. Tonight I'm thinking of going on inside and put them on the roost. Mama just do act like she know any better. But she slept on the roost before she had the chicks.

8. Ole rooster

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Just for the few that are keeping up with this, tonight, as has been all day, the chicks have been on their own. Mama has cut the apron string. Tonight I watch as all the chicks went inside and all of a sudden out they came. Mama chicken ran um all out. She saw me and flew back up on the roost. Then the chicks went in and all settled in a corner in front of a nest. I waited till dark and put them all on the roost I made for them. They all stayed on the roost, so in the morning I'm opening the door a little early to be sure it's open and not putting any of them in harms way.

I sure hope they get the idea tomorrow night they belong on the roost without my help. [​IMG] I didn't build the coop with the idea I would be doing this. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by