Cloth Diapering

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Laurena, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Laurena

Laurena Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2008
    Hi Everyone ,
    well I'm expecting my first child this year and am planning on cloth diapering . I'm planning on using prefolds and diaper covers . What's better unbleached indian prefolds or chinese prefolds ? What's a good diaper cover ? Anyone have any experince with Thirsties or Bummis diaper covers ?

Please share your experiences and advice on cloth diapering .

Thank you .

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Fuzzibunz were by far my favorite. Easy to use, super fast drying.

Kissaluvs were my favorite in the new born sizes. They are super soft, really lovely feel, and fit well, they tend to be thicker and a little bulky, take longer to dry.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  3. I've cloth diapered and loved it!

Bummis covers are great. Chinese prefolds quilt up better than indian prefolds.

I loved Kissaluvs fitteds when my babes were small but as they got older loved pocket diapers, happy heinys and fuzzi bunz.

Prefolds and covers are the cheapest way to go though in the longrun. Snappis are awesome for keeping the prefolds in place. Over that goes the Bummis super whisper wrap, but my favorite covers were Imse Vimse and Polar Babies. Polar Babies covers can be expensive but WELL worth it, on the other hand, Bummis now has a polar fleece cover that they didn't have the last time I had a little babe.
    Hand knitted wool longies or soakers are always amazing too!
    Feel free to hit me up with any questions about washing, drying, sunning, etc.
    Congrats! [​IMG]

4. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I think someone needs to sew and knit and make their own!

[​IMG]

Long since gone from my house - the above soaker knitted with FULL BELLY FARM wool and dyed with kool-aid.

[​IMG]

Also long gone, a AIO I made for my daughter..

5. junebug7334

junebug7334 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    [​IMG] in the day I used a diaper service--9.00 / week! Good for you for going cloth!

6. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

That's a great cover, Wild. I used Bummies, but that was a decade ago. The wool ones are nice, but extremely expensive (we were poor college students at the time). If I were you I would buy a variety, that way when baby grows you know which ones you favor for your next round in the next size up.

7. chickenpiedpiper

chickenpiedpiper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    I do not have children, so my experience is limited, however! When I was a little girl, my aunt taught me a trick with clothe diapers, that should be passed on. Now all of you who know this one, well, my apologies, but it amazed me!

Say you are in a bathroom, and jr has produced a nasty toxic spill, well, take the diaper, hold it by the clean edges into a toilet, swirl it around, to open the fabric, then flush the toilet, while holding on. The swirling water cleans the majority of the mess away, and then you can safely launder the rest! nifty!

I hope this wasnt a case of 'Duh, yeah, we all knew that one!' That would be embarassing![​IMG]

Good Luck, and all kinds of kudos to you for choosing that path! The planet thanks you!!

8. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    I agree, try a few different ones. I make the majority of ours, but we do have a few HappyHeiny and BumGenius covers for nighttime. Wool and fleece are your friends. If you don't want to buy prefolds online, the best I've found in the stores is Kmart's Sesame Street brand. I've had mine for YEARS and they're great.

If you can sew, I recommend http://www.diapersewing.com/ . VERY easy to follow and learn. I made my first diaper 5 years ago with almost no sewing experience at all. Now I sell them to friends and family, along with many other things.

[​IMG]

9. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Quote:It's a good tip. [​IMG] Now they make diaper sprayers that attach to the toilet tank, so you can rinse them in the potty. You can buy them or directions to make them too. Pretty cool.

10. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Cute diaper Stirling!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by