Cloudy Egg- what the heck? pic included

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DivaHick, Dec 10, 2008.

1. DivaHick

DivaHick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2008
    PA
    I'm going to try and post a pic of the eggs, give me a chance, but if you can't see it, try my blog divahick.blogspot.com

[​IMG]

Now this egg is from our seemingly perfectly healthy leghorn and it was laid yesterday. I thought maybe it was just one of those things, so I cracked another one she laid this week, and got the same thing. Any idea what it is?

Thanks!

2. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
  3. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    They look a bit frozen maybe?

4. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    WOW.. after owning chickens for,,,well, my whole life..
    i have NEVER seen such a thing!!! wow.. i am waiting for an answer too... i will have to look in my old chicken mag. to see if they say???

5. DivaHick

Nov 17, 2008
    PA
    Quote:That's what I had thought, but then I cracked open one that's a few days old (Either 5 or 3, I lost track) I had the same thing... that's to long for it to be a "fresh" egg isn't it? I don't know...

6. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    I don't know, it's certainly strange. Maybe wait until one of her eggs is a full 7 days or more old & then crack it open. You've not recently medicated your chickens for anything have you? What about what coffeemama said, could be frozen a bit since you are in Ohio?? [​IMG]

7. DivaHick

Nov 17, 2008
    PA
    I think I will wait the seven days. But as for frozen, now that I think about it, yesterday was really warm, like the high was 52, so it can't be that...

All I know is in the first three weeks we had her, she laid 1 egg. Then dh suggested we may have to cull her since we think she might be pecking at the one poor little Arcauna and she had only laid 1 egg. Right after that (I mean twenty minutes) she laid an egg and has laid one everyday since.

Brat bird...

8. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    Gosh that's strange re the cloudy egg white. I tried to do a search on the forum's website & didn't really come up with anything though. Maybe send a PM or email to Ms. Prissy. In re to your leghorn pecking, maybe try doing a search on "boredom" so that she's more occupied with doing other stuff than with pecking at your other chicken. Just a thought. [​IMG]

9. DivaHick

Nov 17, 2008
    PA
    We've done the boredom thing, I think the one hen annoys her. The one getting picked on will jump into a nesting box while another hen's in there laying an egg, if a hen is trying to go in or out the door the little one will run past and push them to get out ahead of them... and then run right back in the other door.

I hate to say it, but she kinda has it coming...

Thanks for all your help!

10. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    That's funny! You're welcome! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by