Clovis NM gets Backyard Chickens

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances' started by Lazy Chicken, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Lazy Chicken

Lazy Chicken In the Brooder

Jun 2, 2017
    I have been pursuing changing an outdated 63 year old animal ordinance in Clovis New Mexico that restricts the keeping of chickens to 100 feet from the nearest lot line. A meeting was convened this evening with the Animal Task Force (ATF) and there is overwhelming support for the keeping of a few backyard chickens. I was asked to present a draft of an ordinance to be considered and I am hoping someone here can give me some advice. My draft isn't very complicated which I like but I am worried I may be missing something. This is what I have, any suggestions?

6.16.XX – Backyard Chickens

Residents living in a single family residential zone may keep chickens, provided:
    • A license is obtained from the City of Clovis
    • Chickens are restricted to no more than 5 hens (no roosters) for one residential lot.
    • Chickens must be housed in a fully enclosed coop or run. Coops shall be constructed so as to be rodent and predator resistant and shall not be located any closer than 10 feet from the nearest primary residential or business structure except the residence or business establishment of the person owning or controlling the chickens.
    • Chickens be provided with clean, fresh, and sufficient water and wholesome adequate food.
    • All chicken food shall be kept in water tight and rodent proof containers.
    • The slaughtering of chickens is strictly prohibited
    • Deceased chickens shall be disposed of in a sanitary manner

biophiliac likes this.
  2. igorsMistress

igorsMistress Crossing the Road Barefoot

Apr 9, 2013
    Phoenix AZ
    My Coop
    Congratulations!

I think the city ordinance will mostly care about noise, coop proximity and roosters.
    Slaughter and animal treatment aren't priorities.
    The city ordinance where I live gives no restrictions but if neighbors complain about my rooster or any smell, it could become a problem. The ordinance is three sentences long.

3. Lazy Chicken

Jun 2, 2017
    Thanks for the advice. I don't want to over complicate this but when I look at what I wrote, it just seemed like I was missing something. I agree my biggest hurdle will be the proximity to neighbors. My intent is to allow people to use their side yards which on a typical residential lot is about 10 feet. These area are rarely used for anything other that collecting weeds. I think I have the support on the city commission. Thanks again, this forum has been so helpful to me.

wyldflwr likes this.
  4. igorsMistress

igorsMistress Crossing the Road Barefoot

Apr 9, 2013
    Phoenix AZ
    My Coop
    Yup that's where my coop is. And the yard had nothing in it but a tree and weeds.
    Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Lazy Chicken likes this.
  5. AuberyMirkwood

AuberyMirkwood Songster

Jul 24, 2011
    Clovis NM
    You have my full support. I tried to get the ordinance changed a few years ago but I was met with total resistance. I finally gave up when I was told they didn't know how to change the ordinance as it was part of the health code.

Lazy Chicken likes this.
  6. Lazy Chicken

Jun 2, 2017
    Thanks Aubery, I don't get on this site as much as I should. I thought maybe I recognized your name from joining the FB page I created last week "Clovis City Chickens" but I just looked and couldnt find it. I am going before the Clovis Animal Task Force next Thursday to hopefully get a vote to take a revision to the city's 63 year old ordinance to the City Commission in early August. I think I have the support but you never know. If you are still in the area and would like to come and support, the meeting is at city hall (321 Connelly) at 5:30 on July 19. I am picking up a lot of support on my FB page so fingers crossed. Please tell your interested friends.
    -Steven Hill

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: