Club feet on my baby Canada Goose

Discussion in 'Geese' started by sirchrisd, Jun 8, 2011.

1. sirchrisd

sirchrisd Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    I don't know what I can do here. I've got one of the six new Canada geese with cleft feet. It's so bad, the poor thing can't walk without tripping over itself. Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  2. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    "Cleft" feet? You mean the web is missing?

A lot of people on the duck forum buy duck "shoes" for their indoor ducks. I wonder if that would work for the goose, perhaps stabilize the foot and give more surface area. Maybe you could try making something up yourself, because obviously, it will grow rapidly and you will need to go through various sizes.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=282993

3. sirchrisd

May 17, 2011
    No, they have the web, but the feet are turned in. I didn't know if there was something that I could attach to them and help turn them out or a surgery?

4. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

so you mean more like club feet? Stabilizing boots/shoes may help.

5. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Gosling or adult?

If its a gosling, especially younger, you should be able to fix this if its not too severe -- a lot of people basically make a cast or splint similar to the "duck shoes" in the photo, but using something rigid like popsicle sticks or a piece of cardboard inside to force the foot into the correct position, and then keep these on for a while as the bird grows.

See if this site helps:

https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

6. sirchrisd

May 17, 2011
    Yes, club feet. That's the word I'm looking for. I'll try the website and see if it helps.

7. sirchrisd

May 17, 2011
    Had a few days off and didn't make any progress. I'm worried that the goose will grow up before I can fix the problem. I made a splint of popsicle sticks, but the poor thing couldn't even get up. It just laid on the ground with it's feet stuck out behind it. Where would someone get these duck shoes. Maybe I can glue some sticks to them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by