Cluck, cluck, cluck! Hi everyone

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by turbocoop1, Apr 14, 2017.

1. turbocoop1

turbocoop1 Just Hatched

Apr 14, 2017
    [​IMG]Something came over me last week, I don't know what it was about, wether it's kids with hens or having fresh eggs or Easter, it jut got me hooked!!!
    So last 3 days I was just play building a chicken turbo-coop, out of scrap pieces that I had left over building our shed, so 80$ later and some fun time, were still not finished.
    Can some one tell me how big of a run I need to have 3 hens and how many hens can I keep with this home made 4x4x6' cope
    I'm so pumped and excited at the same time about this whole project it's hard to sleep, I got so much energy don't know what to do with it :)
    Here is what it looked like today around 3pm I know I still need to make vents
    Can someone give me a good idea on where to place them and do I need a window?
    Clu lu luck cluck cluck!!!
    Thanks
    I'm excited being here too :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. You've done a great job! The minimum recommendations are as follows: inside coop 4sqft per bird, roost 1.5 ft per bird and the run 10sqft per bird. The more space you have, the happier your chickens will be - I'd advise against packing as many chickens in as you can.

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre - https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread#post_3239224

All the best
    CT

3. turbocoop1

turbocoop1 Just Hatched

Apr 14, 2017
    Thanks Ken will do, I just want 3 birds:)

4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under turbocoop1 [​IMG] Welcome!

Awesome job on the coop to date!

This is a link to a great article on ventilation: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...-go-out-there-and-cut-more-holes-in-your-coop

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock when they arrive, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Wish I had your energy and carpenter abilities [​IMG]Thanks for joining the BYC flock

6. turbocoop1

turbocoop1 Just Hatched

Apr 14, 2017
    Thank Diva!! I learned it all on the internet, look at pictures on google image and take some clues from different builds and incorporated it in my own, I did invest in tools with experience years ago,
    I mostly work on the cars, this is my 2nd wood working project :)
    The energy it comes from above and no one else!!!

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas and :welcome! Pleased you joined our community! :woot

8. HeidelberrFarms

HeidelberrFarms Just Hatched

Apr 11, 2017
    Welcome!

Like some of the others have said, I am envious of your energy and your abilities :)

Your coop is beautiful. You must keep us posted when you get your chickens!

9. turbocoop1

turbocoop1 Just Hatched

Apr 14, 2017
    [​IMG]Thank you for your kind comments!!! Will keep you posted!!!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  10. turbocoop1

turbocoop1 Just Hatched

Apr 14, 2017
    [​IMG]It was my day off today, took kidos to schools went to menards bought some 2x4s and some poultry wires and started framing the walls for the run
    8'x8'x67" high. I'm still working on making a door and cage for the top, [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by