Cluck, cluck

KyCoop

Songster
Oct 23, 2020
Central Kentucky
My little flock ranges in age from 7 to 11 weeks old. I heard a strange sound on the monitor this morning. It was my 11 wk old Barnie clucking. I think. Is this about the age they start?

I think she was practising her egg song. It was kind of a squawk, cluck cluck thing happening. She is the brownish one.

Attachments

• 20201104_154120.jpg
    20201104_154120.jpg
    899.6 KB · Views: 5
I don't know the breed, but 7 to 11 weeks is extremely early even for the early layer breeds. I mean it can happen but Wow if it does. Typically they can start around 16 to 20 weeks of age, but like mine, they started singing the egg song around week 15 but didn't start laying until 20 weeks. These pullets will drive you mad trying to guess when they're to lay and when they do, it's a blast!

I don't know the breed, but 7 to 11 weeks is extremely early even for the early layer breeds. I mean it can happen but Wow if it does. Typically they can start around 16 to 20 weeks of age, but like mine, they started singing the egg song around week 15 but didn't start laying until 20 weeks. These pullets will drive you mad trying to guess when they're to lay and when they do, it's a blast!

11-12 weeks is when mine usually lose their peeps, LOL. Forgot to check on my 14 weeks olds last night at dark & at 6:15 found them on the roost outside. Been having a problem with them not going in the coop with the big girls the last 2 weeks before the door closes. Had to grab them off the roost in the dark & throw them in the coop & man did they squawk like a full grown hen! It was comical. I'm lucky they don't move in the dark or I would have been chasing them around the 300 sq. ft. run. The last one did think about it! Your girls are growing up!

I have to learn all new language. I know what their peeps mean. From soft peep peeps when they are singing theirselvs to sleep to PEEP PEEP I'm not happy. Oh and the trilling. There's a hawk or an airplane or a leaf.

Back
Top Bottom