'Cluck' V.S. 'Squawk'

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Its ME, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Its ME

Its ME Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2016
    Perry, Kansas
    I have 1 silkie that I hatched with some orpingtons and she was the only silkie that hatched. I had her and the orpingtons for about a week and then I ordered 25 bantam chicks, including silkies. After the first week of having the new arrivals I put my first silkie (named Jo~Ann) and put her in with the others. She liked them but not as much as the orpingtons so I let her in with them. When they got mature enough to make adult chicken noises I noticed Jo~Ann Made a 'cluck' sound and the rest made the normal chicken sound when they walked around or got chased. So I'm wondering why does Jo~Ann 'cluck' and the rest 'squawk' ?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Silkies are odd sometimes. I'm wondering if she's broody or playing at having chicks, something I've seen silkies do. And they are more soft spoken than other breeds.

3. Its ME

Mar 29, 2016
    Perry, Kansas
    She is broody and her eggs are going to hatch any time, but the other broody silkies don't cluck like her. She on,y clucks when she gets up, not while she's sitting.

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    They usually only make that noise off the nest, it's how I tell who is broody. She should be happy being a mom.

5. Its ME

Mar 29, 2016
    Perry, Kansas
    Yay, thanks oldhenlikesdogs

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by