Cluckawalla Valley Prison is moving! PIC HEAVY!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by The Sheriff, Jul 10, 2010.

1. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    We bought a house on three acres in Auburn, CA, about 30 minutes from where we live now.

This is the house . It has a quarter acre pond in front with fish and turtles. It is a mess now because it's a foreclosure. We are having the pond professionally cleaned and maintained. All that green and red is overgrown vegetation and red algae. I have been told that lots of migrating ducks, geese and cranes use the pond when it is clean. To the right in this picture there are one or two other ponds that are overgrown with berry vines.

[​IMG]

My geese Bonnie and Clyde will use this pond up by the house. It has a waterfall and a sand filtration system. It is continually fed fresh water year round by the irrigation canal. Obviously we have to get some water on this place and get it greened up again. The pond filter is turned off right now.

[​IMG]

Lucky for us, the previous owner raised racing pigeons. He had 6 coops on the property and took three with him and left three on the property. One I am having torn down because it's a mess. The big coop is behind the main house adjacent to the poolhouse. You can see it on the left behind the poolhouse in this picture.

[​IMG]

I need to paint it yellow to match the house and poolhouse.

[​IMG]

It has two wings, each identical to the other. This is the main coop on one side with a smaller section behind a door.

[​IMG]

Here's hubby for size correlation.

[​IMG]

Here's a shot of the smaller coop behind the door. There is one on each end. I am going to use these for broody pens!

[​IMG]

There is ventilation everywhere. The exterior doors are steel storm with locks. The ceilings are ventilated all the way across.

[​IMG]

The floors are metal. Under the coop, behind the lattice are boards running the width of the coop that pull out for cleaning!

[​IMG]

Both coops have lots of built-in automatic waterers! The birds stick their beaks through the bars to drink. The waterers are housed in predator proof boxes with doors out side the coop! You can see two of them in the full coop picture.

[​IMG]

Between both coop wings is a private office with electricity, doors and windows. I am going to put cabinets and countertops in for my incubators, brooders, feed, and supplies.

[​IMG]

Here is the other wing, exactly like the other one. You can see the marking where the pigeon holes were. I will install roosts and droppings boards in all the coops.

[​IMG]

In this coop I am going to house free ranging chickens for selling eggs. This will be their pasture. See the second coop to the right of hubby in this picture? It is being moved and will be used to house my Icelandics.

[​IMG]

This is the second coop. It is divided into three sections right now, each with it's own door. I am going to create sliding openings between the sections so the Icelandics can be together. If I want to breed certain pairs or trios I will close the slider. It has the same metal floors as the main coop, same ventilation, automatic waterers, slide out trays for cleaning, etc. Each section also has a fully enclosed predator proof deck off the back with locking pop doors leading out to them from inside the coop.

[​IMG]

I am having the smaller coop moved from it's current location to a pasture close to the house under this giant oak tree. I am hoping that will provide much needed hawk protection. I am going to enclose the area under the tree with electrified poultry netting. I hope to have a pair of miniature donkeys occupying the shelter under the first tree in this picture.

[​IMG]

This property is a mess right now having set vacant for 8 months. It used to be the pool and clubhouse for the homeowners association but they sold it in 1995 to raise money for road improvement. The buyers built the house on the property. The pool house has a large living room, bedroom, kitchenette, laundry area and full bath. If I get in trouble for buying too many chickens I can move out there!

This will be my view of the big house if I have to move into the poolhouse!

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking if you got this far. I am open to any and all suggestions or comments. We close escrow on Friday!

Mary

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2010
  2. downtown chick

downtown chick Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2009
    Plant City
    You new home looks like a great place!! It will be really beautiful with the ponds, pool, etc when it gets cleaned up. You have some very lucky birds!! Congratulations!

3. mickistoy

mickistoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    northern ohio
    [​IMG] looks great!!!!

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    A pool too? Geez, now I'm jealous. And you don't even have to build your coops. Are you going to bring the silkie house too?

BTW, we can meet for coffee easier now. [​IMG]

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Whoa! WOWZA! I am SO thrilled for you and all your inmates! That is just so freakin' wonderful!

Now I have PROPERTY envy, not just coop and breed envy!

Way to go, Mary!

6. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Beautiful! All of BYC will be waiting for a pool party invatation! hahaha [​IMG]

7. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Is Beautiful! Lucky you [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    Wow! What a great place for you and the birds (and your family of course). Enjoy!![​IMG]

9. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    That is fantastic- you are really blessed with that set up! The Icelandics are gonna love it! Not to mention Bonnie and Clyde!

10. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    VERY Nice!!! I would love to have so much space for my birds! (and us people too!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by