1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Clucking, feathers, eggs, and dinner

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Emberbella, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Emberbella

Emberbella New Egg

Nov 29, 2014
    Hi, my name is Nicole. I have been researching chickens for a year or so. My family tells me I am obsessed! I have raised chicks in the past but I currently do not have any chickens.

I am planning to start a mini little chicken farm in the spring. I would like to have 6-12 chickens eventually - layers & meat chickens.

Suggestions of which breeds to start with that are not only pretty but good layers as well. My daughter and I are debating starting with eggs or pullets.

I am intending to build a semi-permanent with a moveable run to move around our pasture.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

So glad you could join our community!! I am a big fan of Black Australorps. This breed is docile, friendly and great on the laying. My girls follow me around like drooling puppies looking for some goodies or a nice soft lap. I can't sit anywhere without a bird on my lap! Aussie are great with the kids. Buff Orpingtons, Silkies, Rhode Island Reds, Wyandottes also make great pets and are great on the laying.

Stop by our learning center as well. Lots of helpful tips and hints on all the aspects of keeping your flock...https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Enjoy this new journey you are on and if you have any questions along the way, feel free to ask. Welcome to our flock!

3. Emberbella

Emberbella New Egg

Nov 29, 2014
    Thank you for the welcome! Silkies have been my top pick so far. I also love the colors of the Black Sumatrans.

I am also pondering Easter Eggers. I think my family would love the multiple colored eggs

4. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Welcome, we're all chicken obsessed here, so you're at the right place.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC, Nicole! Glad you decided to join our flock. X2 on TwoCrow's recommendation of Black Australorps. Their beautiful black feathers have a greenish sheen to them when the sun shines on them. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds) and they are extremely hardy, calm and gentle (my children, and now my granddaughter, made lap pets of them), and they are the best layers of the standard brown egg laying breeds. A Black Australorp holds the brown egg laying record with 364 eggs in 365 days, and while none of mine have ever reached that kind of production (and likely never will), I've still had a few of them lay over 300 eggs in a year. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Whatever breed you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hi Nicole, nice to meet you. So glad you joined the flock. Silkies are not the best layers but, they are a big favorite with kids and, often go broody and will sit and hatch out eggs. Better than an incubator any day.

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you.

The breed that I would suggest would be the Wyandotte. Mine are great layers of 250+ eggs per year, and docile, personable birds. Wyandottes are cold hardy and do fine in heat as well. They are a great breed if you want something pretty, as they come in a wide array of colors. Some popular colors are Golden Laced and Silver Laced. My personal favorite is the Columbian variety of Wyandotte (one is pictured in my avatar photo).

10. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Buff orpingtons are my personal favorite breed! They are cold hardy, affectionate, friendly, pretty, great layers and overall great chickens!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by