Clucking question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by socalchicks, Sep 8, 2009.

1. socalchicks

socalchicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2009
    Temecula Valley, CA
    At the risk of exposing my complete lack of experience:

At what age do chicks generally start clucking instead of chirping? I have five 6 week old chicks. Tonight while they were getting comfortable in their hen house I heard the usual chirping and squabbling for the best spots. Then I heard what I thought was an early attempt at crowing. After freaking out that I had a rooster (I can't legally have them, I'd have to get rid of him) I realized that it was probably just a more grown up cluck instead of the chick chirp!

These are my first chickens so I don't really know what to expect. I would imagine at 6 weeks the difference between hens are roosters would be fairly obvious, but I'm not sure. [​IMG]

I'm 90% sure that I don't have a rooster, but can anyone reassure me please?!

2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I think mine started making more grown-up noises at about 7 weeks, so that's probably what it was. It was like it would accidentally come out of them, and they would kind of look around like "what was that?" It was very cute to watch. [​IMG]

3. socalchicks

socalchicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2009
    Temecula Valley, CA
    Thanks for the reassurance!

**Sigh** My little girls are growing up! [​IMG]

4. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    Yep -- anywhere between 6 and 11 weeks -- mine go, "Peep, peep peep PEEP peep GAWK YUP YUP YUP" and look really REALLY startled! Kind of like when boys' voice change. I have a rooster (pet) nearly 6 mos. old that still prefers to peep if he can...GAWK YUP YUP

edited to eliminate the effects of brain freeze...

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  5. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

lol my 7 week olds are doing this...

peep peep peep PHEEEEEEEEEEEEUP peep peep

its so funny lol listening to these teenagers and their cracking changing voices lol

My original flock tho <the 2 remaining are the "mum " and "auntie" to these> didn't really change voices till they were about 12 weeks...and when they did it was fast .

6. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Mine were right around 2 months old as well. I can't remember the time between LOL Seems like they were peeping and then they were making grown up noise.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by