1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Clucking?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickgirl11, Oct 22, 2010.

1. chickgirl11

chickgirl11 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2010
    Citra, Florida
    My 4 week old road red hen was making some weird noises today. Then I realized that it sounded like clucking. Instead of her normal cheep cheep I heard cheecluck and cluk cluk. It didn't quite sound like the noises that grown chicks make but it was definetly a clucking sound. What is happening? Is this normal? Is my baby growing up and getting her "big girl" voice?

2. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

I dunno. Mine didn't get theirs until they were at least 2 months old but she could be an early bloomer.[​IMG]

3. CIgal

CIgal Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2010
    NW Washington
    My EEs started their pre-big girl clucks around that age. [​IMG]

4. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    My 6 week old bantams have started making clucky noises too. Only the last 3 days or so, every once in a while you hear one. They went out to their coop today [​IMG] and I heard a couple clucks...maybe they were very happy (I know I was). I'll be putting up pics, of their big move, on Monday![​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  5. chickgirl11

chickgirl11 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2010
    Citra, Florida
    Thanks for the info.

6. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    MY Naked Necks must be retarded. Only one of the 17 week olds has started to sound like a hen...the other two still cheep.

I've noticed that even the 'clucker' reverts to cheeping when I am around to beg for food. Maybe their cheeping is just their way of seeking sympathy from mum (me) to get treats......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by