Clucks, crowing, or something else?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by JerseyWooly, Nov 24, 2009.

1. JerseyWooly

JerseyWooly Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2009
    I have two chickens I got as peeps back in July, a production (I think) and a plym rock. The Plym, Godzilla, has always been bolder, friendlier, generally more outgoing. Now that I'm going away for a weekend, for the first time they will be left alone. They've been free-range up until now and they sleep in the house. I bought a small coop online and build a run, so they can be on their own for a few days.

I put them in the run today during the day so they can get used to it. When I came home, I found an egg! The first one, but I think they have probably been laying them around the yard for weeks. The problem is, only one. And it was small. My guess is that it was the production, Mothera. But that means the jury is still out on Godzilla. How do I know if it's a boy or girl? (He) doesn't crow, but he makes a long croaking sound like a long winded frog. Just one low tone that goes on for five or six seconds (buuuuuuuuk), not loud but kind of annoying if he should be down for the night but isn't sleepy yet. (He) does this when he wants treats or if I try to make him wear one of those chicken diapers. But he doesn't crow.

So is that a sign of a male? And if I have a male and a female, can I eat that egg or is there going to be a baby chicken in it? Sorry, but these are my first chickens, and I really never planned to have them, I just kind of got them by accident.

2. ethingtonart

ethingtonart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    indianapolis
    First of all, I love your chickens names!!! As for the noises, my girls all make those noises when they want treats and sometimes I think they are just complaining. The best way to tell is if they have saddle feathers, very large combs and wattles, or pointed feathers around the neck. Do you have a picture we could look at?

3. JerseyWooly

Oct 5, 2009
    Thanks for the help! Here's Godzilla in all her (his?) glory-

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  4. Kanga77510

Kanga77510 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Santa Fe, TX
    I love your chicken's names! Too funny. I'm guessing Godzilla is a she, but I'm no expert.

5. solarquail

solarquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Virginia
    thats a HEN she should be laying soon or already she doesnt have any hackle feathers from what i can see so i say its a she

6. wordgirl

wordgirl One of the Shire-folk

Apr 14, 2009
    Looks like a girl to me.

Is the sound she makes a sort of a purr?

7. JerseyWooly

Oct 5, 2009
    Sometimes it's a purr, sometimes it's louder. Same sound, but the volume seems to convey happiness or grumpiness. Almost like a kid whining when its loud.

8. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Aww- she's sweet! I love the talkative girls- it let's me know that it's "business as usual" in chickenland. [​IMG]

As for the eggs- you can eat them fertile or not. I just wouldn't leave fertile eggs laying out in the sun or hot weather [​IMG]

9. wordgirl

wordgirl One of the Shire-folk

Apr 14, 2009
    Our chickens purr (or at least, they used to – I haven't listened in a while) as they're bedding down for the night. They've done it since they were chicks. They also have a growl-sound that they make when they're unhappy that's kind of a trill.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by