Clucks, crowing, or something else?

JerseyWooly

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 5, 2009
I have two chickens I got as peeps back in July, a production (I think) and a plym rock. The Plym, Godzilla, has always been bolder, friendlier, generally more outgoing. Now that I'm going away for a weekend, for the first time they will be left alone. They've been free-range up until now and they sleep in the house. I bought a small coop online and build a run, so they can be on their own for a few days.

I put them in the run today during the day so they can get used to it. When I came home, I found an egg! The first one, but I think they have probably been laying them around the yard for weeks. The problem is, only one. And it was small. My guess is that it was the production, Mothera. But that means the jury is still out on Godzilla. How do I know if it's a boy or girl? (He) doesn't crow, but he makes a long croaking sound like a long winded frog. Just one low tone that goes on for five or six seconds (buuuuuuuuk), not loud but kind of annoying if he should be down for the night but isn't sleepy yet. (He) does this when he wants treats or if I try to make him wear one of those chicken diapers. But he doesn't crow.

So is that a sign of a male? And if I have a male and a female, can I eat that egg or is there going to be a baby chicken in it? Sorry, but these are my first chickens, and I really never planned to have them, I just kind of got them by accident.

First of all, I love your chickens names!!! As for the noises, my girls all make those noises when they want treats and sometimes I think they are just complaining. The best way to tell is if they have saddle feathers, very large combs and wattles, or pointed feathers around the neck. Do you have a picture we could look at?

Thanks for the help! Here's Godzilla in all her (his?) glory-

42456_img00080.jpg

42456_img00094.jpg

Last edited:
Sometimes it's a purr, sometimes it's louder. Same sound, but the volume seems to convey happiness or grumpiness. Almost like a kid whining when its loud.

Aww- she's sweet! I love the talkative girls- it let's me know that it's "business as usual" in chickenland.
wink.png

As for the eggs- you can eat them fertile or not. I just wouldn't leave fertile eggs laying out in the sun or hot weather
tongue.png

Our chickens purr (or at least, they used to – I haven't listened in a while) as they're bedding down for the night. They've done it since they were chicks. They also have a growl-sound that they make when they're unhappy that's kind of a trill.

Back
Top Bottom