Clucky chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by australop girl, Jan 25, 2017.

1. australop girl

australop girl New Egg

Jan 25, 2017
    Eungella. Nsw.
    Hi there everyone,my name is Dianne. I am new to this if I have a rooster locked away in another pen will my hens still go clucky or is it just normal they do with or without the rooster. Can I stop them from going clucky ?
    Is it okay to use garden lime in and around the chicken pen ?

2. ChickenChaser9

ChickenChaser9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2016
  3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. Assuming you mean a hen going broody - then they will do so with or without the presence of a rooster. You can break their broodiness (type broody buster in the search box). This search should help answer your question re: lime - https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=garden+lime+toxicity

More generally, you'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre - https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining your country thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/598568/australia-six-states-and-that-funny-little-island

All the best
    CT

4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Howdy neighbour [​IMG] Welcome and Happy Australia Day!

I understand clucky [​IMG] And, yep, Ken is right, if a hen is prone to broodiness [clucky] she will go broody with or without a rooster. I only have hens and being Pekins [bantam Cochins] they are broody more often than not in Spring/Summer.

Also, as Ken suggested, please do pop in to the Aussie Thread and say G’Day, you will be welcome.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] Hens go broody when their hormones tell them to. Roosters have nothing to do with it. In fact some hens will want to hatch rocks, golf balls or even nothing at all.

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings, australorp girl, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our flock! You've already received a plethora of great advice so I'll just say best wishes and thank you for joining BYC!!

7. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC Dianne!

8. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Thanks for joining us!