Clueless Gander

Discussion in 'Geese' started by judyc, Oct 14, 2013.

1. judyc

judyc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    So, 2 years ago, I bought a pair of Buffs. The breeder sexed the adults, I thought, but with time and eggs it became apparent that he sold me two geese. Fortunately, I hatched out a young gander from another bloodline, so I thought it would be OK.

Now for the TMI part: The girls are laying, and the gander is mounting, but he's not making the , ahem, "connection." I watched them breeding the other day, and saw a trickle of "gosling juice" trickle down the side of the bottom bird. I believe that Jr. is getting his jollies 'midst the soft feathers and the eggs are not fertile. [​IMG] The females are SO uh, "excited" that it turns into a three-way, with birds stacked 3-high. They seem to take turns on top. If it weren't for that trickle and the fact that two of them don't tuck their tails when up-top, I would believe I had three females. The two geese hold up their tails when in the water. It seems that they are trying their best to be "easy."

What can I do, if anything? The geese I bought as adults are both laying. The gander would be coming up to two years old.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Practice makes perfect. [​IMG]

3. judyc

Mar 10, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    I would have thought he would get enough practice this spring. I suppose I'd better look around for another gander.

4. The goose girl

The goose girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Denmark
    Do they have a pool to mate in? According to my breeder, a mating pool drastically increases egg fertility. It makes it much easier for the gander to mount and aim correctly. A kiddie pool should be sufficient.

5. markt1

markt1 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2013
    I have had a similar problem with my gander. Two females, 24 eggs, and only ONE fertile! I even took them into work after 30 days to look at them on the company XRAY machine. Nope, none fertile or even partially developed. A 4% success rate... So I got a bunch of hatchlings from Metzers which I'm hoping will have at least one male to fill the gap this spring. Does anyone know if a 2 year goose will mate with a 1-year gander?

6. servpolice

servpolice Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Ireland
    I have a 7 year old chinese who is paired with a 2 year embden gander ! Quite pervy but geese will do it with any goose at any age

7. servpolice

Oct 10, 2013
    Ireland
    and this will solve your answer a year old gander is rarly fertile at any breed except canadian and at year 2 they are extremly fertile so thats your answer

8. servpolice

Oct 10, 2013
    Ireland
    African geese can have fertility problems their whole life at any age and a other tip is that year old ganders are kept forr breeding when they are 2 years old

Year old gander-20% fertility
    2year old gander 90% fertility
    5 year old gander 100% fertility
    10 year old gander (depending on breed) 70% fertility
    really old gander back down to 20 % fertility or a bit higher

this is also with females except at year one they have a higher % then males

9. judyc

Mar 10, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    They do have a pool. That is where they mate. (or try to mate) I'm going to the Lebanon show on Saturday. Boy, if I see any Buffs, I'll be REAL tempted to get a gander who knows where the deposit is supposed to go.

10. servpolice

Oct 10, 2013
    Ireland
    Haha you know what you should do just grab the cage if u see a buff gander and steal it! So you get out cheaper

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by