Clues to sex of chicks?

Rock Wyandotte

Songster
10 Years
Mar 11, 2009
Newbury, Vermont
I've got a Speckled Sussex chick (8 days old) who is larger and more boldly marked than the others. There's a Silver Laced Wyandotte with similar traits - bigger, bolder. Are these two likely to be roosters? Anyone out there who's noticed these types are the roos?
hmm.png

I think at this young age you'll have to wait a bit longer. Keep an eye on the comb. An early comb is typical of roos. Pullets' combs develop much later.

I'm in the same boat with a buff orpington chick that I suspect might be a male. Curry is 20 grams heavier than Croquette, the Black Australorp. I'm hoping it's just a breed size characteristic.

I don't know if there is any science to this or not but some people say you can hold the baby chick just above it's feathers. If, when doing that, their feet point downwards, it's a female; if the feet point upwards, it's a roo. I've been looking for thick legs within the same breed, comb development, etc. I purchased straight run so I fully expect 50-75% of them to be roos but it's interesting watching the development.

I had a pullet last year that because of comb development everyone that it was a roo. It wasn't but it is the most dominate hen of the ones I purchased last year. Since I plan to keep one roo this year, it'll be interesting to see how she reacts. Her name: "Heshee."

I raise SS and the roos start getting a much bigger comb pretty early on. I've got some that are 4 weeks now and it's been very obvious for awhile already who the roos are.

Quote:
Seeing the start of a comb doesn't mean it's a male. The comb turning red very early is a sign. Pullets will have combs, too, just pale and small ones.

My first batch of chicks we (owner and I) tried sexing by comb development and bumps on legs at 2 1/2 to 3 weeks old. I do NOT recommend this technique at all--I got 3 roos out of 4 chicks! What I have noticed to be better indicators were-leg size (stocky = cockerel) and behavior. Cockerels seem to be more vigilant, more likely to fight with each other, walk with less of a "waddle", and usually more upright stance.

Quote:
You might want to start your own thread instead of hi-jacking this one, but I'll answer your question.
smile.png

Roos have wisps in their crest. It looks like they are a little windswept. Hens have more rounded crests. Roos also have slightly larger combs. Other then that, you pretty much have to wait til it either crows or lays an egg.
wink.png

Here is a pic of my roo Lenny. Notice the wisps in his crest.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom