Clumsy RIRs!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by KrankyEggs, Jul 16, 2010.

1. KrankyEggs

KrankyEggs Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2010
    Hi,
    I have two 7-week olds, one RIR and one red sex link. I also have two Australorps that are a week or two younger.They all seem to be doing fine, healthwise and growing nicely.

My question is, are RIRs supposed to be this clumsy and oafish? The two "golden girls" are so much less agile than the Australorps. They are not comfortable flying, and their landings are horrible! Usually they crash land. The RIR, Rhoda (i call her the Colossus of Rhoda) is the biggest, and she seems to be afraid of heights, and when she does get up on the roost, she is really freaked out and then usually crashes on landing, even if it's only a foot high. The sex link, Gilda, also is a klutz.

By comparison, the BOs love to fly, will alight anywhere gracefully, and never take each other out in the attempt. (Gilda just flew into Rhoda and knocked her down earlier this evening!).

So, are they just a klutzier breed?

Thanks much,

Krankyeggs

2. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Dunno. I have 4 RIR and they are fine, if a little ungainly. But a lot of my birds are a bit ungainly, mainly because I clip their wings so they can't fly out very far.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by