1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Clumsy while mating rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Ciqala, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Ciqala

Ciqala Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2013
    New Hampshire
    I have two roosters, I'd say they're just at about 1 yr old or will be by the end of the month. The alpha is doing damage to the hens, I've seen him mate and he's not aggressive with them. He just seems clumsy about it all compared to the other one. I've got my girls in polar fleece saddles, but now their wings are getting a bit beaten up during the mating process. I have two roosters to 9 hens, my order of 8 chicks ought to be in the store the first week of April. I didn't really want more chickens, but figured I'd up the ratio in hopes it solves this.

I like him, he's a good boy and good to the girls and other roo. I've read here that roosters can be clumsy with mating until they mature, about what age would that be? At a year old, does he still have a lot of maturing to do?

2. ChickenCurt

ChickenCurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2014
    Ah clumsy starts, but practice makes perfect. [​IMG]

3. Ciqala

Apr 14, 2013
    New Hampshire
    How much practice does the lad need, he's about a year old? LoL, he excels at practicing and is always like this [​IMG] to the ladies. I'm just hoping this is a practice thing and a year old is still young for a rooster and that he'll out grow it. If he's always going to mate like this and adding more hens doesn't help, sigh I'll have to either get rid of him {which would break my heart} or build a bachelor pad. Neither sounds appealing.

4. ChickenCurt

ChickenCurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2014
    Romeo he may never be... [​IMG]

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm thinking he's as good as he's going to get. It may just be a numbers thing--that's a lot of lovin for that many hens--or it may be technique and he'll never improve.

6. Ciqala

Apr 14, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Is it realistic to build a second coop off the wall of their current one that is separate with it's own run and keep them as two flocks? Each rooster having at least 10 hens to himself? Or would seeing each other, etc be a problem? I hate to get rid of this guy and am trying to come up with solutions, I'd even get him more than ten hens. He's such a good boy and to get rid of him due to being a doofus in the bedroom department breaks my heart. And expanding off what we already have is a much more economic solution for us, than building a whole other set up where the two flocks {or bachelor pad} couldn't see each other.

Or maybe separate the boys together into a directly adjacent coop/run periodically and just let them in with the hens here and there? Or would that cause more problems?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by