Clutch hatching on different days?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Headgear, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Headgear

Headgear Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2012
    West Harrison, Indiana
    I have a clutch of Black Copper Marans eggs hatching. Out of 14, 8 hatched on day 21 (yesterday) with two more pipped as of last night. I haven't looked yet today but I would bet that one or two of the remaining unpipped eggs have gotten started last night. I bought these eggs from lady here locally. She said that they were all collected over a four or five day period and they were all set at the same time. What causes some of them to hatch later than the others?

FYI, I had a them in a new Genesis Hova-Bator, with an automatic turner till day 19. The humidity was +/- 45% and the temperature stayed very constant at 99.8 At day 19 I put them in another Genesis without the turner to hatch and raised the humidity to 65% and again the temperature was very steady. Any ideas?

Thanks

2. Double Laced

Double Laced Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2012
    Yorkshire
    One of the things that causes this is when eggs are left in the nest for a few days rather than being collected, they are sat on and kept warm while hens lay new eggs in the same clutch / or / all you need is 1 or two birds that sleep in a nest box and incubation can start on a few eggs for a day or two before they are collected.

Also with some breeds is is not unusual for a hatch to last two or three days, happens a lot with my barnevelders. When i raise hybrids they all seem to hatch within a few hours of each other.

Do you use a incubator with a fan, Hot and or cold spots can develop leading to a sporadic hatch.

3. Headgear

Headgear Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2012
    West Harrison, Indiana
    Yes the Genesis has a fan and I put all of the eggs in the center just to be sure. The lady I got the eggs from said that see collected them eggs twice a day but I noticed that she had them in her garage and the temperatures here were running in the mid to high 80's. I think I would have kept them in the basement where it was cooler and more stable.

Eight of the 14 hatched, two died when they were halfway pipped and I haven't opened the others yet to see what happened with them.

Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by