Clutch Info!

tmarr

Chirping
Jul 15, 2015
Guys I'm trying to let my female Pekin have a clutch to see what happens (I've also 4 eggs in an incubator). She has four at the minute and I've been checking them at night, changing the bedding, marking the eggs so I know when they've been laid etc. Is it ok to do this in front of them? They come over and have a poke at them, daddy duck keeps a watchful eye! Don't want to put mummy duck off! Also how many eggs might it take before she thinks about sitting? I was thinking if the eggs in the incubator don't work out I could swap with one's from the nest.

Guys I'm trying to let my female Pekin have a clutch to see what happens (I've also 4 eggs in an incubator). She has four at the minute and I've been checking them at night, changing the bedding, marking the eggs so I know when they've been laid etc. Is it ok to do this in front of them? They come over and have a poke at them, daddy duck keeps a watchful eye! Don't want to put mummy duck off! Also how many eggs might it take before she thinks about sitting? I was thinking if the eggs in the incubator don't work out I could swap with one's from the nest.

When I had mallards they laid between 10-15 eggs for a complete clutch. If the hen were upset with your intrusions she would seek out a new nesting site. Since she is not doing this you are fine. I did not have pekins, but thought I read somewhere that they are not the best at brooding or parentage. Something you might want to check into.

When I had mallards they laid between 10-15 eggs for a complete clutch. If the hen were upset with your intrusions she would seek out a new nesting site. Since she is not doing this you are fine. I did not have pekins, but thought I read somewhere that they are not the best at brooding or parentage. Something you might want to check into.

Yes think it will be a miracle if she decides to hatch them! One of the hens laid an egg in with hers lol think one of them might go broody! They seem fine with the checks so I'll see how it goes, and be more subtle if I have to! Thanks, only 5 eggs at the minute!

Back
Top Bottom