Clutch of Eggs Found-UPDATED

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by she-earl, Sep 4, 2009.

1. she-earl

she-earl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2009
    Lancaster County PA
    I just found a clutch of 9 eggs. I pen my chickens in overnight and then let them out mid to late morning after most have laid their eggs. I know one hen is always the first one out when I open up for them. Today she seemed on a real mission so I watched where she went. She went to the farthest end of our calf barn and went up to the second layer of round hay bales. Later, I went and investigated and found these eggs. I have an incubator and was wondering how I can tell if these eggs are viable. I candled them and they all seem to look alike except for one. I assume this is the one she laid today as it is clear when candled. The others all have more "mottled" look to them. That is about the best word I could think of to describe them. What are your thoughts on viability? Should I crack one of them since they all look about the same?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    If you want to hatch them just stick them in the incubator. Chances are that they haven't started developing yet b/c she hasn't been sitting on them. No reason to think they're not viable except that the oldest ones may possibly be too old. Stick them in the bator and candle them in a week to see which ones are developing.

3. she-earl

Jan 17, 2009
    Lancaster County PA
    These are from a Barred Rock. I have six hens and she is the one we like best. I would like to think that should we hatch chicks, they would be her temperment.

4. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    Definitely throw in the incubator and update us in a few days!

5. she-earl

Jan 17, 2009
    Lancaster County PA
    Of the 8 old eggs, 6 of them never developed. The other 2 hatched as well as 3 others freshly laid ones I put in with them. I also have 14 Red Sexlink eggs in with the Barred Rocks. So far 7 of them have hatched and still have 7 more to hatch. This evening is the end of day 21.

6. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by