clutch of eggs laid by 2 hens outside of coop

Mooliejones

In the Brooder
Jun 19, 2018
Hi,

I'm new to having chickens and currently have 2 hens and a cockerel. Both hens lay daily, usually in the coop nesting boxes. Queenie (Hen 1) missed laying for a few days, then I found a clutch of 4 eggs in a hidden part of the garden. I have left her to it as the children would love chicks!! Since then, my other hen Sable (Hen 2) has also been adding to the clutch of eggs. So now there are 15 eggs, but neither of the hens are staying on the nest yet. As soon as the sun goes down all the chickens go into the coop for the night and come out in the morning as normal.

Question - Do I just leave the eggs and see if either Hen 1 or 2 go broody and sit? How many eggs are too many, and are they just choosing to lay somewhere different thinking I won't pinch them for tea!!? How long should I leave it before I intervene?

Any help/advice welcome :0)
Thank you x

Usually fertile eggs last about 10-14 days before becoming infertile or less fertile (I’m not sure I worded that right) so leave th for a few days and if they don’t set, I’d remove the eggs.

Usually broody hens stay on their eggs 24/7 except to drink or eat, if you really want chicks I'd move a dozen into a medium size box and set up a brooder there. That way u know what eggs are being used and they're safe from the environment and the chicken continually lays on the eggs.

I don’t know the breeds as we took them from some friends who couldn’t home them any longer. I don’t think they know the breed either as they were chicks from unknowns. Neither of my girls are broody either as not sitting on the nest, only to lay then move off. I now have 17 eggs in the clutch a mixture of both girls but no sitters!! Good luck with your hatching

Back
Top Bottom